Is spring the best timing to do a major pruning for Schefflera?

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have had a schefflera for 1.5 years now. I want to give it a major pruning. Is spring the best time to do it?

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 8.37.35 PM.png

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
It is a tropical and pretty tough. Is it under lights inside? If so, it is fine.
If it stays outside now and you still have some colder nights, I would wait until regular, stable, warm weather.

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
It is a tropical and pretty tough. Is it under lights inside? If so, it is fine.
If it stays outside now and you still have some colder nights, I would wait until regular, stable, warm weather.
It is inside under lights. I will prune it then. Thank you!

Treefer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do mine after it has been outside for month, usually mid to late June.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure what you have in mind for "major pruning".

I prune mine about now...usually a little earlier even...to remove what tends to be leggier winter growth. Even under bright lights, mine tend to grow longer internodes indoors that out. I prune off the newish growth. Basically it "resets" the tree back to where it was at the end of summer otherwise I end up with some areas with tight internodes and some with longer ones. It's often a sizeable portion of new growth that gets trimmed off this time of year but it does seam to help keep the foliage tight.

Styling decisions and harder prunes like the occasional defoliation wait until accelerated growth later on when the weather warms.

Top Bottom