Is there ever a good pairing with a stark white pot

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Seems I won my pot...now...to let it just mellow. Nothing ready to pot in it anyways. Love the shape...and that it's white. Just need to tone down the stark newness of it.

Great advice by all...thanks!

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a couple of similar pots and I have my birches (betula officinalis) growing in them. They are small now, but my thought is that the white pot will compliment the paper white trunk.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So are you going to put a lilac in it? What did you decide?

I haven't decided yet Judy...the lilac is far from ready for a pot. I just got done doing some work on it's roots with some root hormone to help develop them a bit more. So...it's not ready yet by any means. ( this one had roots that appealed to me when I first started...but, not so much now. So I need to correct what is there. I have two lilac bushes...but neither ready for pots.)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From my experience lilacs are tough. Moved clumps of them in summer fully leafed out. You can cut them down to the ground and they come back with vigor.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
From my experience lilacs are tough. Moved clumps of them in summer fully leafed out. You can cut them down to the ground and they come back with vigor.

Thanks! Yes that's what I heard, I'm just following advice given to me by Mr.Pall. Cutting it down by 80%. And actually am looking forward to it!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else liked this pairing, but I used one of my white pots with a Juniper that had comparably white deadwood:
http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/another-pro-nana-literati.18772/

Generally I put Juniper I pots with no glaze, but I liked it in this one better.

I have another pot and oddly enough I used it just a week or so prior on a Pyracantha... May not be the best pairing until it is in berries, as the blooms are white...

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
White pots look great with most anything in them, to me it gives a sense of a snow laden surface with a tree that was caught before the leaves turned in an early snow, or especially when a deciduous tree is barren.

ed

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
White pots look great with most anything in them, to me it gives a sense of a snow laden surface with a tree that was caught before the leaves turned in an early snow, or especially when a deciduous tree is barren.

ed
I know I like white pots also.
I don't know why but it just makes the tree and moss stand out.
Not a lot of people use them-pry why I like them.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Probably late to the thread...at first glance I thought the pot was round but it has kind of an oval shape to it.
If it had been round I would have said some species of maple in a fukinagashi style....
But because it is on the oval side, I would say a Ginko in an Usumoyou styling. (Usu Moyou is an informal upright with a trunk on the more narrow side.)
To me not only species, but styling of the tree is important in determining how the pot will best work for a display.

Somebody also mentioned Fuji (Wisteria) and if you go with that do it in a Shakkan styling to get the image of the tree overhanging a riverbank...

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Japanese for stick in a pot.
薄模様

Just plain funny. No need for translation!
吹き流し

I thought people on this site actually wanted to learn about all aspects of bonsai. You have proven me wrong with your responses...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
吹き流し

I thought people on this site actually wanted to learn about all aspects of bonsai. You have proven me wrong with your responses...

If we were all Japanese I wouldn't have to translate the meanings.
And I am serious about learning bonsai. Just nit serious about the fancy terms.
I'm sorry. I meant a curvy stick in a pot. I stand corrected.
I'm a lot like my avatar. He tramples all over Tokyo. I trample over the pretentious use of the Japanese language. But I bet our breath is close in odor. We wont even discuss the other end. Lighten up a little and enjoy some word play.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
吹き流し

I think if one wants to participate in a bonsai forum then put some plants in pots, train them for twenty years and post the progressions here.

Throwing around Japanese terms for bonsai forms does not make one an educator here. I have read your articles on display recently here in the forum and there are many inaccuracies in your understanding of bonsai forms. One has to be well versed in bonsai first and then apply display to it not the other way around. I have made my opinions here out of respect for your article which should be kept clean.

Its seems to me to be pretty arrogant to be espousing about bonsai when you have never worked on one for yourself. A little humble pie goes a long way.

Top Bottom