Is this a Pinus Thunbergii?

albertchoh06

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum as anyone can tell from what I'm about to ask...:) I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if the photo shows a JBP/Pinus thunbergii. Thank you.
JBP.jpg

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Certainly looks like it but maybe some more close up shots might help to be a little more definite.

welcome to the forum!

🍺

albertchoh06

Seedling
Reaction score
Certainly looks like it but maybe some more close up shots might help to be a little more definite.

welcome to the forum!

🍺
Thanks @Ryceman3 on both counts😉. Trying to get a better shot before I make my online purchasing decision. Asked the seller but waiting for a reply. It is advertised as Pinus thunbergii to be fair - maybe I'm not the trusting type 😁. Waiting for a reply. Not biting my nails or anything - only 12 people watching the item...😄 Might it even make a good bongsai is the question. In my mind yes, in my novice hands... who knows...

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that's a lot of excess tree to ship.

Welcome to Crazy!

Now isn't a good time to ship trees anyway, in the year, or on the Earth!

It certainly doesn't offer many options. Tell em to cut it down to the first branches and ship it in fall!

Or not...where are you?

Sorce

albertchoh06

Seedling
Reaction score
I think that's a lot of excess tree to ship.

Welcome to Crazy!

Now isn't a good time to ship trees anyway, in the year, or on the Earth!

It certainly doesn't offer many options. Tell em to cut it down to the first branches and ship it in fall!

Or not...where are you?

Sorce
@sorce, thanks. The seller is in the UK. It's just a short distance up the motorway. I would have asked for the address to go see and pick up the plant myself if not for the darn pandemic :) Sure hope it's JBP/thunbergii...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
darn pandemic

Are you guys still running around hiding behind Garbage cans and such? Lol!
I been seeing a lot of funny ass videos from there!

Stay well!

Sorce

albertchoh06

Seedling
Reaction score
Are you guys still running around hiding behind Garbage cans and such? Lol!
I been seeing a lot of funny ass videos from there!

Stay well!

Sorce
Thanks. Let's just say the shite we see across the pond makes for better prime time entertainment... ;)🤣🤣🤣 Stay safe!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like. JBP.

But not a very good one. I would continue searching. Bonsai take a long time to develop, even “good” starting material. So, consider that you you be working with whatever you get for years and years.

So, I suggest that rather than buying the first thing you see, wait until you find something a little better.

albertchoh06

Seedling
Reaction score
It looks like. JBP.

But not a very good one. I would continue searching. Bonsai take a long time to develop, even “good” starting material. So, consider that you you be working with whatever you get for years and years.

So, I suggest that rather than buying the first thing you see, wait until you find something a little better.
Thanks @Adair M. It is good advice. Just wondering, what is the benchmark for a good bongsai specimen or otherwise? Thank again.

albertchoh06

Seedling
Reaction score
It looks like. JBP.

...or should I just plant it as a niwaki?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
...or should I just plant it as a niwaki?
Well, look at the length of the internodes between the nebari to the first branch, then the second branch, then the third...

that’s going to have yo be a tall tree to have everything in scale. The distance between the internodes should be shorter as you move up the tree. The bottom branches should be thicker than the branches up higher.

Things like that.

And, the fastest way to develop bonsai is not by taking a small tree and growing it out, it’s by taking a larger tree and cutting it back, and redeveloping branches on a thicker trunk.

Top Bottom