Is this a Shimpaku or Nana?

Alkaid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all, this is my first post to this forum. I recently purchased this Juniper from a reputable nursery in Portland. It comes from a company called Cascade Bonsai in Lebanon, Oregon. It was labeled as a Shimpaku, but I swear it's Nana. All the foliage is needle like. Any input on this?

Anyway, it's my first bonsai and I know it isn't much to look at, but I would appreciate any suggestions for styling this tree.

Thank you for any input in advance,

John
IMG_20120619_135402.jpgIMG_20120619_135411.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It sure looks like procumbens foliage to me, whether or not it is a 'nana' is difficult to say. It definitely doesn't look like shimpaku, though.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd say it's procumbens but not 'nana'. Nana has much smaller and tighter foliage.

But to be fair, most procumbens seem to be labeled "nana" but once you've seen them side by side it's pretty obvious.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Definitely not shimpaku, probably procumbens, but foliage looks too loose to be p. nana.

Alkaid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the ID help everyone. Should I continue with the semi-cascade look here or try something different? I feel like this tree looks sort of clichéd right now.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could also be a needle juniper - is the foliage sharp?

I had one a while back with foliage like this. Ended up getting rid of it because I didn't like the rashes I would get if I accidentally brushed the foliage.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Procumbens, but did you pay shimp pricing?? Typically a shimp would cost more pound for pound.

Alkaid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It was $60 and is maybe 15 years old or so. Do you think I overpaid for it? I think I could return it if that is the case.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Procumbens are soft... when they're alive. I'd return it to be totally honest. This might be a cutting off a 15 year old tree at best. I'm not sure where you are exactly but there are plenty of good places to get material in NW Oregon/ SW Washington. Try to take it back, explain that it was mislabeled (better than accusing them of false advertising and pissing them off), they'll most likely take it back if you haven't done any work on it.

Alkaid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the honesty... Really it was a gift from someone that I picked out based on its appearance so I can't really say that I'm unhappy with it. I am however curious about your comment, "When they are alive. " Are they prone to premature death? And if so, is it possible that their reputation for being a beginners tree simply places them in the hands of inexperienced growers that kill them?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
as the steve said.... if you can ... take it back... you can create something similar with more potential from $10 garden junipers than this tree has .... there is nothing special about the tree... its certainly not 15yrs old (they love that number) ... you will find you will enjoy bonsai more if you work with material that has more potential.... a decent trunk and good nebari can easily be found with a few hours searching a bunch of junipers :p

as for the "when they are alive" junipers will keep their color for long periods of time even after they have died (road side sellers often sell dead trees for months) ... many people begin their entire bonsai careers by watering dead trees .... :( .... stiff needle _can_(but not always) be a sign of bad/dead health in procumbens

also please update your profile with a location (general works) ... you will get better advice that is more localized to your area etc

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those soft tips turn to razor knives when they dry out. As for a "beginners tree" I personally don't recommend any needle bearing tree for beginners. Junipers can take a lot of abuse so they get sold to beginners- but by the time you find out you've killed it, it's been dead months. think how long a christmas tree stays green after it's been cut down and shoved in a hot, dry house. I've got a branch off a pine that I cut off a month ago and it likes just as green as the ones still on the tree. (As in very green- not as in the ones still on the tree look dead too). A better tree for beginners, in my opinion, is something like a japanese maple. They'll tell you within a matter of hours if their dinner is late. They have a smaller threshold for making mistakes in some areas, but at least you'll know if it's alive.

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm not saying anything bad about the nursery or company you bought the tree from, but I for one, would try to return this tree.

If you like this style and are happy with a small procumbens, you can go to your local nursery and buy 8 or 9 one gallon procumbens nanas for your $60
and create your own version of this tree and this style. Heck, you could wind up with a cascade or two. A couple of this style, whatever it is, and learn a bit more during the process.

Definately not a shimp. though.

Alkaid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks everyone for the great input about this tree. I decided to return it and get nursery stock that will actually teach me something about bonsai in a more traditional sense. I decided on a Japanese Maple "Hanami Nishiki." It is 5 gallon and very handsome. I will update my location and create a new thread and end this one. Thanks again.

Top Bottom