It's a Hobby part 2

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay folks,
please be honest ,

Is this a hobby or a profession ?

A great many of the clashes here seem to be Hobbyist versus Professionals.

So what level do you want to work at ?

I will go first, Hobbyist.
However, I was trained to do my best.
So though I have the ears of Professionals [ Chinese / Japanese ]
it is a hobby for relaxation and inspiration.

Designs are kept simple and eye easy.

Mind you we have quite a few folk who have professional training.
and are you really interested in pushing the refinement of your
trees to that level ?

This deals with soil mixes, growing techniques and general how to.

So where we use mostly, formal, informal, and semi-cascade, not much
in cascades, literati or anything to deal with grafting, or white wood.

No real interest in trees with shapes, other those that exist on the island.
Can use eagles claw, branch or root shapes.
Health and Design yes, but simple shapes.

Backyard display on simple iron benches, preferably 3 times the greatest
distance for viewing.
No tables, have two wooden sushi shapes and that's it. Too much junk to store.
Lingnan - no wires, trees down here scar easily, and take forever to heal.

So how far will you push yourself - Professional Standards for Public Displays ?
Good Day
Anthony

Example of Sushi shape

seagrape.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm a hobbyist. I don't have the same amount of passion as others. When I do take time to do work, I try to do my best. Eventually entering shows and having others critique my work will help push me further. But I'll take baby steps.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A great many of the clashes here seem to be Hobbyist versus Professionals.

I do not know of any professionals who regularly post here for very good reason. All the clashes you’re worried about are generally the result of either sweeping over generalizations, sneering contempt, dismissive attitudes, or some combination of all three. Luckily the forum gives us a tool to blank out the key trouble makers.

S

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's easy for me to answer. I still live in the place that hobbyist and Pro-to-be share...

What tree is this? How does it grow? How much/how often for water? Can we make it through winter together?

In the long run, I'd like to be a hobbyist with fair to good trees (maybe even a few that are fine), who has learned enough to ask good questions of pros.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A professional is simply someone who makes their living doing whatever they do. A hobbiest is some one who does what they do for their own pleasure, but does not use it as a means to make money.

Many hobbiest are better at doing something than professionals. Mr Ebihara, for example.

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have always enjoyed gardening. However I injured my spinal cord so I am very limited on what I can do. I started bonsai as something to replace gardening. I consider myself a very early novice. I have to make bonsai as cheap as possible because at this time I have no income what so ever. My wife does not work as she has to take care of me and my autistic son. SO for over 2 years now we have been depending on my mother in law because we are still fighting for me to get on disability. As a result the vast majority of my trees have been dug up out of peoples yards and growing where they should not be. The trees I have were free and they give me something to gain experience. I repaired a friends ham radio so I was able to order seeds for the 6 year contest.
My trees are a mix match collection mostly planted in $1 oil drain plans. Since I am new to this I do not yet have any bonsai tools but that will happen someday. Right now I am really working on the Japanese Black Pine seeds and someday I really hope to get a tiger bark ficus. So far they are out of my price range (family of 4 with no income, everything is out of my price range) but hopefully I will get one in the future. I made a potting bench out of scrap wood, and made a couple of shelves in front of the bench to display the trees.
So I'm learning as I go, I don't have any proper bonsai tools, or proper bonsai trees, I do have a nice pot so that is something to build on. However none of that keeps me from having fun and enjoying all if the beautiful trees that are posted here in the forums.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not know of any professionals who regularly post here for very good reason. All the clashes you’re worried about are generally the result of either sweeping over generalizations, sneering contempt, dismissive attitudes, or some combination of all three. Luckily the forum gives us a tool to blank out the key trouble makers.

S
The noise level seems particularly high lately. Or maybe I'm just becoming less tolerant of it.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe like was said above, we are all hobbyists here, save for a couple people. Everyone has their own style, and intensity level. As long as people remember that our differences are our dynamic. Without our differences, it would be pretty stale around here. There are so many trees, and so many styles, so why try to stifle others enjoyment. I hope to be able to enjoy bonsai intensive vacations as my teenagers drain less resources from me.? ???

Reaction score
Hobbyist. No desire to show or compete. I do it for my own amusement. Do I want to make the best tree I can? Sure, but only within certain boundaries. I have other things in my life at the moment that are more important. I won't spend big bucks on trees or tools. I will use a shortcut if needed/possible. I do not strive for perfection, just relax and enjoyment.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Artist. Bonsai is a sculptural medium to me. I may have some professional aspirations for my art in other media, but bonsai is a hobby so far. That said, I am way more intense about my hobbies than the average Joe.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All the clashes you’re worried about are generally the result of either sweeping over generalizations, sneering contempt, dismissive attitudes, or some combination of all three.

...and if all else fails keep posting the same thread over and over again until you get the response you want. I think we are about due for another one about not needing tie down wires.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gardening and garden has been always part of my family. I like my plants, I enjoy the nature and what has to offer. I am an hobbyist and I hope to learn as much as I can of this art in the years to come.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have just recently re-entered the Bonsai world, I'm Hobbyist here too.
I enjoy the learning, relaxation, creativeness and sharing of ideas aspects of Bonsai.

And I strive to form trees to what is pleasing to MY eyes.
After-all, it is I, that must live with them. LOL...

I love this place!!!

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hobbyist, returning to it after a 35 year layoff.

At this point, I'm working on pre-bonsai material, scoping out plants on the property that I hope to air layer, or dig, and trying to find the time to squeeze it in without it being at the expense of family. My first round of hedge clearing didn't yield anything of particular interest for bonsai purposes, though a couple of beauty berry plants are on my watch list due to the gnarly base. I have ID'd two medium size azaleas (not in the jungle hedge) that I'm definitely going to dig (clusters of brilliant white flowers, and another with clusters of amazing pink flowers, that bloom so profusely that you almost can't see leaves when they bloom), but it's going to have to cool off a bit before attempting that. Also spotted some very nice Coral Bell azaleas at a local nursery, with 1.5-2" single stem trunks in 3-gallon pots - will probably pick up two of those this week. There's a massive crape myrtle in the back yard that I am going to practice air layering on. Also have some banana shrubs that look like they could yield 4-5 high character layers from each. In short, taking my time and planning, and seeking not to over-extend.

Yesterday, I went thru some bonsai stuff I've had stored for decades, and found a few bonsai pots, and a ziplock freezer bag with three sticks of a product called "plasti-mold". On the wrapper it touts itself as a "moldable plastic that never hardens". I used this product to seal cuts on bonsai in the early 1980s. The two unopened sleeves look like you could have picked them up at the craft store, yesterday, and the opened sleeve has a very slight discoloration, but from a plasticity standpoint, feels the same as when I was using it. Granted, the place this material has been stored is climate controlled (my workshop), but impressive IMHO, nonetheless.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hobbyist here.
I find bonsai to not only be a good way to find peace, but it is a major artistic outlet for me.
I agree with Adair, about striving to make trees on a professional level...if it was my livelihood, I'd probably end up not liking it.
Even though I strive for top notch trees on my benches, I'm certainly in no rush.
Time is key, which is also why I can't imagine quitting bonsai...all one does by quitting is slow roll their own quest....unless you quit and never return.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Intense Hobbyist, although with the amount of stock I'm starting this year you'd swear I was going to start a business!

Whole family is plant people, green thumb is an inherited genetic trait
Almost became an art major in college, but have a bunch of art theory and history classes under my belt for Anthropology

I'm of the same mind as several here where they want to be a hobbyist but want to produce professional looking trees.
Unfortunately it seems like a lot of those high-end techniques and knowledge are "locked up" in the professional world,
And I can't justify becoming an apprentice for 6 years just to further my hobby when the reason to become an apprentice is to prepare you for the bonsai business world.

I know there are those who aren't going lo like what I'm about to say, but this is why I'm so appreciative of guys like Ryan Neil and Bjorn Bjorholm coming back and sharing so much information.
I'm currently doing bonsai on a budget and there's no close-by clubs or nurseries, so it's like an apprentice level education at a discount price, and there's no translation needed.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The noise level seems particularly high lately. Or maybe I'm just becoming less tolerant of it.

I think both high AND I’m less tolerant. Tree progressions where real work is getting done rarely get more than a reply or two and inane threads like this one or “are you a parrot” get pages and pages of intolerable bickering, chest thumping, sweeping overgeneralizations and pompous self-assertion leading to all sorts of shenanigans and buffoonery. Some days its more than I can take and I have a growing concern that my ignore list will soon grow beyond its file-size limit.

Top Bottom