It's a mans world

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems in a world filled with yamadori and the hunt for that perfect trunk, it can be hard to find really nice examples of a aged graceful feminine tree. It almost seems like a dieing art, or atleast a forgotten side of it. First off, if you have any pictures of high level trees that pull this look off. Please post them.

But i also wanted to ask. For the people that have been in the hobby longer. Does the feminine style still hold a place to you? Or have you moved onto bigger is better.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
In my mind, a well designed and developed bonsai with a feminine feel- tall, relatively thin trunk with soft angles and foliage- is just as sexy as an old, gnarly and weathered trunk with deadwood plated bark. Fwiw, feminine vs masculine is more of a feel then a style, and the size of the tree really doesn't matter. In fact, I'd say it's much harder to construct and maintain a small version of a feminine tree verses that of a masculine tree... just look at all the shohin sumo JBP and tridents out there., which are, in my mind, inherently masculine. I don't personally have many in my collection... here are a few of mine that might be considered feminine.287F1A32-CB17-430E-97C7-8A49BC5C2F6A.jpegC59530D7-EDF2-4AA1-8339-AC8FA6E532CD.jpegIMG_2693.JPG

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Personally i love both
these deciduous trunks are quite feminine, many deciduous trees are still seen as feminine, some can be a mixture of both
20190610_163545 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
2019-08-02_07-01-22 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_7762 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

vs some of mine that are definitely more masculine
2019-07-12_12-13-54 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20190913_171131 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20190912_173101 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

i dont see the feminine deciduous tree as a dying art at all, maybe you just havnt looked at and studied enough good trees?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
conifers are historically known for being masculine trees, having lots of deadwood, heavy powerful trunks, thick plated bark,
but thats not to say that a conifer can't have feminine features....

i killed this yew, but the design characteristics and the movement in the trunk definitely lend itself to a more feminine feel, thats what i saw in it anyway
IMG_6629 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

versus a more masculine trunk
IMG_6757 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

i think anyone serious about bonsai should have a variety of different styles in their collection

Last edited:

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some great trees there @BobbyLane and i agree with everything you said. Its just when it come to show ready trees its all about the big boys. I know it isnt a style, you wouldn't say im going to make the a feminine tree in the same way you would say im going to make that a broom.

Its more like, as if a painter was to use oil based or acrylics. That kind of what im getting at tho. It just seems (to my inexperienced eye atleast) that one 'style' seems to get used more then the other.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some great trees there @BobbyLane and i agree with everything you said. Its just when it come to show ready trees its all about the big boys. I know it isnt a style, you wouldn't say im going to make the a feminine tree in the same way you would say im going to make that a broom.

Its more like, as if a painter was to use oil based or acrylics. That kind of what im getting at tho. It just seems (to my inexperienced eye atleast) that one 'style' seems to get used more then the other.

its really not a one sizes fits all. some trees lend themselves to certain characteristics and some dont. its that simple really. japanese maples tend to grace a lot of the big shows. more often than not they are more on the feminine, delicate side. as i say just a matter of looking at more trees.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm more attuned to feminine trees for sure, and my collection really reflects that. @MACH5 has a beech tree that he got from me that is probably along those lines for a larger tree. Most of my trees these days are shohin and chuchin sized trees. Except for this massive old satsuki that is super sexy. This is actually a few years ago, I've done quite a bit of pulling the top down to minimize the open space on the middle upper right. But this is the best shot I have from bloom time.
P1020821.jpg

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm more attuned to feminine trees for sure, and my collection really reflects that. @MACH5 has a beech tree that he got from me that is probably along those lines for a larger tree. Most of my trees these days are shohin and chuchin sized trees. Except for this massive old satsuki that is super sexy. This is actually a few years ago, I've done quite a bit of pulling the top down to minimize the open space on the middle upper right. But this is the best shot I have from bloom time.
View attachment 263327
Simply stunning!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think just about all of my trees lean towards the feminine end of the scale, even my most rugged.
Meijer Gardens JcH 2019_0325Meijer20190001.JPGMeijer Gardens Tf 2019_0325Meijer20190004 a.JPGMeijer Gardens CtC  2019_0325Meijer20190006.JPGMeijer Show DAC 2019_0325Meijer20190009.JPGMeijer Gardens CC 2019_0325Meijer20190012.JPG

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Go through Micahael Hagerdorns portfolio and you’ll find quite a few “feminine” trees. Which I think is a reflection of his environment, up there in the northwest. I’ve personally been drawn to taller yet more elegant trees lately.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hemlock typically has a graceful, softer feel. here is one of mine. Sub Alpine Fir can have a graceful look as well. Although this one is just had its first rough styling and all the wiring and pruning is incomplete!View attachment 263323View attachment 263325
Do you have a thread for that fir?!?! LOVE that tree!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like mostly large trees. But I also appreciate the more delicate, thinned trunk trees. I strive to have variety in my garden. Too much meat and potatoes is not good for you!

Here is the tree Judy was referring to which I fully wired last March. A copper beech (Fagus sylvatica purpurea). Beautiful, elegant and scarless trunk! This tree will be something special in a few years.

IMG_0996.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love trees that go right down the middle. A thick flakey trunk with gentle bends. Harsh masculine angles in the branches with light airy foliage with a feminine sway. And of course a rectangular pot with rounded corners. A total 50/50. Those are the trees that really get my attention.

I’ve noticed in life that I hang out with men who have a feminine energy. After all I’m a male hairdresser who loves football. And women who have masculine qualities, my wife designs factory equipment and enjoys her bourbon straight and her IPAs bitter. But she’s also into makeup other girly stuff.

A somewhat recent epiphany. Sorta yin and yang. Taking the best of both and marrying them. As for trees... I could include photos of my pre bonsai but they are so far from finished they wouldn’t tell you much. My latch is getting there, very non-binary tree. Think that’s the word

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Last edited:
Top Bottom