Ivan Watters Passing

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Taken from March newsletter of the Midwest Bonsai Society:
"Ivan Watters Passing: Sadly, after a severe illness Ivan, one of our founding members, current board member and sensai, passed away quietly, on February 26th at the age of 85. Memorial Visitation to be scheduled soon. Cremation and Inurnment is Private. In lieu of flowers donations to the Midwest Bonsai Society, PO Box 1373, Highland Park, IL 60035 are appreciated. To leave a condolence or for more information visit www.funerals.pro or call 847-537-6600."

Those of us in the Chicago Area might be more familiar with Ivan as he was the former curator of the Bonsai Trees at the Chicago Botanic Garden and teacher of Bonsai. He studied in Japan and was instrumental in getting Susumu Nakamura to donate
20 of his Kokufu worthy trees to the Chicago Botanic Garden.
Personally, He was my first teacher or sensei , and I credit him with teaching me the foundation of the Bonsai Art.
To learn more about Ivan, you may be interested in this article:
https://my.chicagobotanic.org/horticulture/journey-to-kokufu/
Ivan, you will be missed.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Get back to your clubs before all of the old timers are gone, life if fragile and fleeting. I first met Ivan at the Asian Moon festival in Des Moines Iowa in 1994, the year I joined the Four Seasons Bonsai Club of Michigan. Ivan was a good friend to many of us and he will be missed.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So sad... today, after months of being locked out of my Facebook account, I regained access (from Facebook, who had locked it in the first place for no reason I could determine). I had a note from Ivan that I didn't see until just now :(

Rest in peace my friend.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was shocked to see this post. If he is the person I am thinking of had a store in Morton Grove, very close to where I live, and he is the first to get me interested in bonsai. He was a great guy and always willing to help.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I was shocked to see this post. If he is the person I am thinking of had a store in Morton Grove, very close to where I live, and he is the first to get me interested in bonsai. He was a great guy and always willing to help.

Indeed, that store in Morton Grove was Ivan Watter's. He closed up shop more than 20 years ago. He stayed active in the local bonsai scene for another decade, mostly working out of his home or teaching as instructor at the Chicago Botanic Garden. The last 5 to 10 years he was mostly retired.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Get back to your clubs before all of the old timers are gone, life if fragile and fleeting. I first met Ivan at the Asian Moon festival in Des Moines Iowa in 1994, the year I joined the Four Seasons Bonsai Club of Michigan. Ivan was a good friend to many of us and he will be missed.
Yes Wood! Ivan was always at the Midwest show as I’d met him in the ‘80s in Chicago. We’d had him to the Four Seasons club as guest.
And dear friend so glad you came along!
Hope you’re doing well!

Clive 55

Seedling
Reaction score
Taken from March newsletter of the Midwest Bonsai Society:
"Ivan Watters Passing: Sadly, after a severe illness Ivan, one of our founding members, current board member and sensai, passed away quietly, on February 26th at the age of 85. Memorial Visitation to be scheduled soon. Cremation and Inurnment is Private. In lieu of flowers donations to the Midwest Bonsai Society, PO Box 1373, Highland Park, IL 60035 are appreciated. To leave a condolence or for more information visit www.funerals.pro or call 847-537-6600."

Those of us in the Chicago Area might be more familiar with Ivan as he was the former curator of the Bonsai Trees at the Chicago Botanic Garden and teacher of Bonsai. He studied in Japan and was instrumental in getting Susumu Nakamura to donate
20 of his Kokufu worthy trees to the Chicago Botanic Garden.
Personally, He was my first teacher or sensei , and I credit him with teaching me the foundation of the Bonsai Art.
To learn more about Ivan, you may be interested in this article:
https://my.chicagobotanic.org/horticulture/journey-to-kokufu/
Ivan, you will be missed.
Rip

Top Bottom