Jade bonsai?

NorthWest1015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have a small jade plant that has been growing well in its pot for sometime now. I am interested in shaping it into something a bit easier on n the eyes. I am a beginner to all things bonsai and I need advice on what steps to take to turn this into a beautiful tree.
thank you in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• 20131211_151745.jpg
    20131211_151745.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 20131211_151733.jpg
    20131211_151733.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20131211_151728.jpg
    20131211_151728.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 66

NorthWest1015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not sure why pics uploaded like that and I dont know how to fix it :(

RightSideUp

Seedling
Reaction score
Cheers, mate.

Attachments

• 20131211_151745.jpg
    20131211_151745.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 20131211_151733.jpg
    20131211_151733.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20131211_151728.jpg
    20131211_151728.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 69

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a few I started from cuttings. It seems hard to chase the foliage close to the trunk. I assume repetitive pruning on the tips would help ramify but mine are not at that stage yet.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems to have a thick enough trunk. I do not think you can wire one though as they are soft skinned. I have never tried one for bonsai but there are tons of images online of them. It seems to me chopping it low letting it grow out would be your best bet. You would need to keep the branches from getting too long, I assume they would ramify if you trimmed as the grew leaving some leaves to allow new growth to come from.

ed

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have considered doing a variegated variety in such a pot...I just am in awe of the trunk on this one. Are they easy to care for? Never really knew anyone who had one.

image_zps903fe911.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I will ask my friend Brock this weekend when he calls. He complains every year that his Dads needs back into the greenhouse for Winter and that it weighs 150 plus pounds. I think it is 35 years old but I will get the correct information and find out about the care for it. Dad is getting real old so I suspect Brock is doing the maintenance for the last several years as well. I do know that two tiny ones he brought us from cuttings are doing real well at my Wifes office and have grown to over one foot over the past year. They get full sun in a glass entrance and little to no attention unless the cleaning Lady waters them.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I will ask my friend Brock this weekend when he calls. He complains every year that his Dads needs back into the greenhouse for Winter and that it weighs 150 plus pounds. I think it is 35 years old but I will get the correct information and find out about the care for it. Dad is getting real old so I suspect Brock is doing the maintenance for the last several years as well. I do know that two tiny ones he brought us from cuttings are doing real well at my Wifes office and have grown to over one foot over the past year. They get full sun in a glass entrance and little to no attention unless the cleaning Lady waters them.

Grimmy
I found this on Pinterest I believe, just a photo. You are saying you KNOW the person who actually has it or am I reading your post wrong!?! Wow...could you ask him about how he keeps it in the same pot for me as well? Just pruning of roots and repot in the same pot is what I imagine. Thanks Grimmy...I am leaning toward a variegated jade or a miniature butterfly bush put in it.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It seems to have a thick enough trunk. I do not think you can wire one though as they are soft skinned. I have never tried one for bonsai but there are tons of images online of them. It seems to me chopping it low letting it grow out would be your best bet. You would need to keep the branches from getting too long, I assume they would ramify if you trimmed as the grew leaving some leaves to allow new growth to come from.

ed

Guy Guidry wires them all the time. The trick is knowing how to wire with pliers and bending the wire slowly not the tree.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those things grow wild in my yard. Once established they are really robust! I don't know how convincing they'd be as bonsai, per se, but I like the attitude of "easier on the eyes".

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I have several of them...they make cute bonsai.
To wire them dont water before hand for several days. Other wise they like water...but slow down in winter.
The trick with them is constant pinching and clip and grow...directional pruning.
Somebody on FB has shohins...several...and I really like them.
Just be careful not to rot them, and threat them as any other bonsai.
This plant tolerates drastic pruning if you allow the soil to dry completely before removing large branches and roots.
They need plenty light in order to have short internodes.
Quote:
. If you are growing a small shohin and wish to reduce the size of it’s leaves it can be done the same as with other bonsai except that you must allow the soil to become dry before you remove all the leaves. After the leaves have been removed place the plant in a semi-shaded location and do not water it until new growth begins.
Spring is the best time to repot but it can be done at any time if given proper aftercare. It is important that you allow the soil to become dry before repotting or severely pruning the top. Do not water until new growth appears. Keep it in a semi-shaded location until new growth begins, then place it in it’s normal location.

Attachments

• 34. jade.jpg
    34. jade.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 65
  • jade-bonsai-tree-portulacaria.JPG
    jade-bonsai-tree-portulacaria.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 68
  • jade.jpg
    jade.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 60
  • portu.jpg
    portu.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8964.jpg
    IMG_8964.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 50

NorthWest1015

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow. Thank you all for your quick and thorough replies, you have all been extremely helpful and have made me glad I became a part of this group. I think I will start to prune this tree little by little and see what it becomes. Does anyone here suggest a pot change? Anyone see any specific limbs that just need to go? Im having a hard time visualizing how the tree will end up which makes it rather difficult to decide which limbs to keep. I know its asking a lot since all you have seen are my photos but im sure im not the first to request such service. :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Neli,
Nice trees. Are yours the same species as the OP? Yours look like portulacaria afra, which I believe is different from OP's jade, no?

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Yours look just like my afra...but can not be 100% sure. What is OP?

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Wow. Thank you all for your quick and thorough replies, you have all been extremely helpful and have made me glad I became a part of this group. I think I will start to prune this tree little by little and see what it becomes. Does anyone here suggest a pot change? Anyone see any specific limbs that just need to go? Im having a hard time visualizing how the tree will end up which makes it rather difficult to decide which limbs to keep. I know its asking a lot since all you have seen are my photos but im sure im not the first to request such service. :)

Your tree needs more light...it has too long internodes. That is why I thought it is afra.
Have you thought what style you want it? If you have a style in mind...is better, so we tell you where to cut.
Do You want a small bonsai...if not you need to grow the trunk...then dont cut it.
You can change the pot after you advance the design.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yours look just like my afra...but can not be 100% sure. What is OP?

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the tree in the OP looks like regular jade(crassula ovata? I think) due to the larger leaves, whereas the portulacaria afra u posted is dwarf jade or elephant bush.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the tree in the OP looks like regular jade(crassula ovata? I think) due to the larger leaves, whereas the portulacaria afra u posted is dwarf jade or elephant bush.

you're correct

Top Bottom