Japanese Black Pine - 1yr old, complete newbie mama

shawtymama

Seedling
Reaction score
Also, I know the soil looks sodden. It's because it kind of is. We had dry weather the past couple weeks so I just gave her a good dousing. Don't panic, 95% comes out the drainage holes when watering, especially on this occasion as it had dried enough to reveal that root when I watered. Actually drowned her twice on this occasion as 1st watering went straight down the dry sides and out the bottom 🤦🏻‍♀️

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Soil is like religion to bonsai practitioners. In the end you want to find something that works well for your climate and watering schedule. Most people recommend coarse well draining soil, with at least 50% of it being inorganic. There are numerous fired clay products, volcanic soils, and a few organic soils that people mix to suit their needs.

A general soil mix is 1 part lava rock or pumice, 1 part fired clay particles (tons of options here), 1 part small pine bark. It's a good general soil mix until you learn what ratios might be better the next time you pot. Generally, the tree does better with substantial air exchange to the roots without them drying out completely. Think hydroponics almost. Most of us have jobs that prevent us from being able to water multiple times a day so that's where the pine bark or organic matter comes into play, it holds the moisture a little longer than most inorganic components.

You will not find a "best" soil mix. There are many "good" soil mixes that can be created easily. We all have found something that works for us and our conditions.

Short of letting your pine completely dry out, it should be able to withstand most challenges at this age. Most pines like drier soil than broadleaf or deciduous trees.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One root showing above the soil is not reason to panic nor reason by itself to repot. Trees will stay alive in small pot for years though it does become increasingly difficult to look after them well.
Slowing of growth can be seasonal, lack of nutrients, lack of space and a few other factors.
Real indicators of need to repot is soil becomes very hard because it is full of roots and/or tree can be removed from the pot with soil ball held together with lots of roots.
Early repotting will usually give more growth but the same can often be achieved by feeding the tree well in the existing pot.
If you do want to repot there's no real rush. Pines can be repotted later in spring with little risk. I repot seedlings like this one right through spring and summer with no problems so try to contain the panic and get what you need first.
Potting soil debates are constant and occasionally heated and it is clear that different growers are successful with a range of different soil types. My take from that is both can work. What you use is less critical than caring for the tree according to the potting soil you use. The one constant is that garden soil in pots makes it much harder to maintain trees. That's why we have potting soils/composts. Find a quality potting mix rather than using 'soil' in pots. Price is usually a good guide to potting mix quality.

Mad Tabby

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
Hi all, major meltdown here. I have no pot, no soil media, absolutely no idea on anything and now I'm panicking.
She is CLEARLY yelling at me to repot, however, I am too anxious to do so because I'm anxious I'll buy or do the wrong thing. Iv have read hours upon hours of information of general bonsai care, pine specific care as well as blogs and such. I have read guides and personal opinions on a variety of pines as well as mine. I like to get a broad range of information and then use that day by day based upon what my little one tells me 🤷🏻‍♀️ not sure how a tree 'tells' me things but she does lol
I have borderline personality disorder so I'm going extensively studying whilst being too nervous to actually do anything about it so I have a few questions that will help me be more decisive.
1. From the pictures she clearly needs repotting, growth speed in the past 7-10days has been a lot slower than the few weeks before. I'm almost at the panic buy stage for my potting medium. There are lots of conflict online as to whether it's best to use organic or inorganic. I am a nature lover of all things and feel, with the right love, care and attention, all things natural can thrive. Even if it means a bit of extra work. Why should a tree in a pot not have what a tree in the ground has, for the sake of time and effort? So please take that into consideration when making suggestions.
2. Wanted to clarify, I'm given the impression wiring her should be done late summer early autumn? Before she prepares for winter? When growth slow?
3. Is she big enough to wire to the pot this time round or shall I wait for next time due to being so small?
4. Only a few sites have said, pine specifically, that pinching should be done, conservatively, throughout the year (spring-autumn). Rather than lots in one go? Is this personal opinion or 'wise' advice of older generations?

I have no trouble with constructive criticism so please, any advice would really help.

As you can see by the pics, the soil is practically disappearing to the point a root is now becoming visible, considering making that a single 'arched' bare root 🤔 undecided lol

Thank you
Hey, didn’t see anyone else mention this but “organic” and “inorganic” are not the same in soil as in grocery shopping.

“Organic” means came from something living. Peat moss, manure, compost, etc.

“Inorganic” means not from something living. Clay, lava, rocks, vermiculite, perlite, sand, etc.

I’m a noob at bonsai but have gardened for over 50 years & used to have a lot of house plants (until they accidentally got packed onto the moving truck in January. They looked fine until they thawed out.) In my experience for houseplants you need both. From what I’ve read regarding bonsai you want to go heavier on the inorganic.

2. Wiring? My uneducated opinion would be, whenever it “speaks to you”.

3. 🤷‍♂️ sorry.

4. Not all pines are the same. So if they just say “pine” do they mean JBP? Jack pine (lodgepole)? Ponderosa? White? There are 40 common species of pine and they all have different needs. For example a Ponderosa needs to be abused. The dryer they are, the harsher the climate, the more extreme the temperatures, the happier they are. Whereas an lodgepole will happily grow in a peat bog. And some sources seem to think all coniferous are “pine”. This information comes from being around forestry & they’re looking at where the trees will grow happily out in the wild. I’m sure most of my family think I’m nuts for stuffing them in a pot.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Don't feel too anxious about your JBP.

I'm no expert but I've grown several for the last 4 years from seed. They can take a lot of abuse and they still keep on going. Mine have been through repottings, bad soil, root trimming, heat waves and dry winds, etc. They are a very strong species as far as I can tell.

Soil... Some people I trust grow JBP in a mix of large perlite and coco coir. 50/50 is probably fine since I've seen people be successful with 60/40 or 40/60. It won't die if it doesn't get into high quality bonsai soil. This mix is very cheap and works well from what I've read.

Your tree is still young, so I'd let it grow another year or two before worrying about wiring and "pinching" candles.

Here is a great video guide for 2 and 3 year old JBP that I have been following with success. Keep in mind that these techniques are for developing smaller sized (shohin) JBP bonsai. If you want yours to be larger, then you would probably need to adjust your techniques accordingly. His youtube channel has lots of great info, so check out more of his videos.

Top Bottom