Japanese Black Pine slant style.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This tree was my first "real" tree...a field grown (in southern Maine, of all places) JBP I purchased for $125 about 8-9 years ago...it came in it's own 5 gal bucket with holes punched in the bottom for drainage;). I had really no clue how to grow or style a pine, but dove in head first with this one. Basically, I did everything wrong with this one; removed branches flush with the trunk, removed 75% of the root system the first time I transplanted it, didn't aggressively remove the field soil until last year, candled it repeatedly over several seasons when it was clearly not thriving, etc. Despite all the abuse, the tree has survived though its development has certainly been delayed. Last year, I re-potted it, removing the last of the field soil. I didn't candle the tree in July for the first time in 3-4 years, hoping to strengthen it. I will do some needle plucking prior to bud break.
The two biggest design challenges for this tree, in my eyes, are 1) the poor apex, and 2) the poor base/nebari. The apex has no taper, so I'm hopng to replace it via an approach graft started last summer (you can see the grafting tape in the pics). The base/nebari of the tree is so typical of JBP that have been field grown prior to having any root work done, with that ugly bulge and minimal surface rootage. I may root graft to alleviate the lack of surface rootage, but there isn't much to do about the bulge. My teacher and I have contemplated a new front with the tree rotated clockwise a bit. It does reduce the visual weight of the bulge, but it also diminishes some of the movement in the mid and upper trunk. Comments/thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• DSCF1036.1.jpg
    DSCF1036.1.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1,280
  • DSCF1037.1.jpg
    DSCF1037.1.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1,268

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Unless the color in that photo is all shot to hell, that tree does NOT look happy!

Mystogan

Banned
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i think it might be the light right on top of it

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, the color of the foliage is washed out a bit from the flash and lights from above. I will say that the tree is still a bit weak and the needles could be darker... I'm pretty sure I have had an over-watering issue with some of my trees which may hasn't helped. And before anyone says it, I have fertilized weekly from March through Novemeber with full strength miracle grow and fish emulsion (like all my other trees)...this one just needs to be babied and watered appropriately for another season or two.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dav4,

Your pine has an awesome trunk, but the foliage is worrisome! Do mean miracle grow, as in: miracid (the one with azaleas on the box cover)? If not, I highly recommend you try it out. I used one spoonful per gallon once per week from spring to mid-late summer and my JRP responded with very vivid green. My non-grafted JWP foliage became noticeably bluer too.

T

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Tanlu. I honestly don't think this is a fertilizer issue, but more of a "weak root system" issue specific to this tree...my other JBPs and JRP all have very healthy foliage and the foliage on this one isn't nearly as bad everyone seems to think. Its health has improved over the last year and the foliage will certainly look better this coming year.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Dave.. Nice trunk on that tree!.. As far as the watering goes, I think that I experienced the same thing last winter what other species.. When spring came, some of my trees didn't look that good. I had to do a few emergency repots. I find that it may not necessarilly be overwatering, as much as the soil being compacted and wet on the bottom of the pots.

Rob

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am thinking about diving head first this year as well, with johns guidance. It has a nice trunk it seems like it could use some vigor. It looks a bit tall to me but I know you are obviously working on the development. Have you thought about bunjin?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree has been living on its reserves. The yellow outer needle with the green in towards the center of the cluster tells me that this tree has course roots and no feeder roots. It is slowly dieing and there is not much now one can do about that.

Have a current picture like this week, or is that first picture the current picture?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am thinking about diving head first this year as well, with johns guidance. It has a nice trunk it seems like it could use some vigor. It looks a bit tall to me but I know you are obviously working on the development. Have you thought about bunjin?

I have considered bunjin, but decided that a new apex below the current apex would work, making the tree more compact and less lanky. Hopefully the graft will take and we'll be in business.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The pics are from this week. Al, what you are seeing/describing is an artifact from the crappy lighting set-up I had while taking the pictures. The tree is weak and has been for several years, but isn't dying. It does have a weak root system, and I need to stop torturing it for a few years, water it properly and let it regain some strength before resuming any aggressive pruning.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Two pics from today, without artificial light. Again, the color of the foliage isn't great, but it's not bright yellow, either. In the close-up, you can see the true color of the foliage...you can also see the tell tale signs of needlecast. We had an extremely long, hot, humid summer last year- 90 days of 90+ degree temps, and every pine I own has been affected with needlecast to some degree...this one more so because it wasn't all that healthy to begin with.

Attachments

• DSCF1044.1.jpg
    DSCF1044.1.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 980
  • DSCF1045.1.jpg
    DSCF1045.1.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 790

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice and green now :D I've noticed that some of my pines and junipers take on a lighter foliage color ad even a grayish hue over the winter. Once the temps rise and some fertilizer is applied, the dark green comes out in full force.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
At the urging of my teacher and another bonsai friend who really knows his JBPs, Ide-candled this one back in late june. As you can see, the tree responded nicely and pushed alot of nice, healthy candles. About three weeks ago, it became apparent that my approach graft to create a new, lower apex failed. 3 strikes and you're out...the old apex was removed and my plan is to form a new apex from a branchlet coming off of the highest branch on the left. It will be wired up when the tree gets wired later this fall.

Attachments

• DSCF1195.1.jpg
    DSCF1195.1.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 948

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The apex sure looked healthy back in your april post, sorry it failed for you. I really like the top with the jin as it is right now, it gives it an old tree in nature look. I bet it will look even better as the needles fill out more.

ed

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the post, Ed. The old apex was healthy, but the straight, taperless section of trunk leading to the apex needed to go. I tried to start a new apex lower down with approach grafts, three different times...each attempt failed. So, committing to my new plan, I removed the foliage from the old apex but left the trunk for now. Once the sap withdraws and the wood dries, I'll carve it down into a smaller, more refined jin. The new apex will be developed from part of the highest branch.

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I like it better now Dave, the ht. is more in proportion to the thickness of the trunk imo.

Top Bottom