Japanese Black Pine Winter Work

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have the full history of this tree on my website, which I'll be updating soon, but thought I'd share the latest and greatest here this evening. Kind of cool to see how things change from one year to the next. These shots are:

1. 3/07, As purchased
2. 12/08
3. 11/09
4. 12/10

I have found a new front for this, and I may be turning the tree so that the front would be what is currently off the back-left corner of the pot, and the top 1/3 is removed. It would be a major style change, but address a lot of the defects in the upper part of the tree...we'll see :eek:

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC07049.jpg
    DSC07049.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 455
  • Jap Black Pine 350 08 (23).jpg
    Jap Black Pine 350 08 (23).jpg
    200 KB · Views: 443
  • Japanese Black Pine 350 09 (19c).jpg
    Japanese Black Pine 350 09 (19c).jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 393
  • Japanese Black Pine 350 123010.jpg
    Japanese Black Pine 350 123010.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Beautiful. Hope you don't mind me asking, but how much was the tree when you bought it?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great progression in the course of three years. In the first photo there is a hint of a troublesome root. Did you remove that root?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ryan: wanna make me an offer?:)

Barry: I have corrected several surface roots while its been in this, it's first, bonsai pot. You might be referring to what looks like a bald cypress knee at the back right in the '08 photo. I'll be repotting this next spring, and look forward to getting it into a more appropriately sized pot.

Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Being in high school still, I couldn't give you a fair enough offer :D :D :D

Ryan, You've got one of the greatest assets for a bonsai enthusiast and it can't be purchased... Youth! Keep your trees alive and well trained and you'll have a remarkable collection at an age when most of us weren't even thinking bonsai.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ryan, You've got one of the greatest assets for a bonsai enthusiast and it can't be purchased... Youth! Keep your trees alive and well trained and you'll have a remarkable collection at an age when most of us weren't even thinking bonsai.

Definitely! Not to mention the value youth can bring to a local bonsai club...keep the old guys on their toes, moving bags of soil, heavy trees...:D

Keep at it!

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good work Brian! How many did you look through to pick this one :) What are your plans for the upper third left side? How can anyone not love pines :D
Wood

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good work Brian! How many did you look through to pick this one :) What are your plans for the upper third left side? How can anyone not love pines :D
Wood

Quite a few...although I don't know if I would pick it now. It did have branches on the outside of curves, and something that would pass for a tapering trunkline. Other than that, it was probably the fattest trunk of the bunch at that time! I have a couple better ones still in nursery cans just waiting in the wings; one is earmarked for Peter Warren to demo at the April workshop.

On changing the front, I'll have to reshoot it against a dark background so I can do a virt of my idea, but I'm considering removing what's covered by the towel. Everything that is left "works" without the need for grafts or radical bends, and the base is better from this side as well.

Attachments

• DSC05239.jpg
    DSC05239.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 241

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is where the "chop" would be made from the present front. Show you later what it could look like..

Attachments

• Japanese Black Pine Chop.JPG
    Japanese Black Pine Chop.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 218

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
yeah...we'll see if I can steel myself to do it. Currently it's pretty "textbook", and I think it could be more interesting with a change...

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A quick virt of the proposed front, with just a little airbrushing. I think this could be done pretty easily.

Attachments

• New Front Virt 2.JPG
    New Front Virt 2.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 168

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
I don't think you should chop this tree either. I really like the way you have developed it to this point.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks...problem is that the tree is very photogenic from the front...turning it around exposes three other sides that would probably make you question if it was the same tree. I may shoot a few to show; it's almost laughable.

I think that if I don't do it now, I'll kick myself every year that I don't, because in total, it is a better tree from the back-left corner...better base, better branch layout, better trunk ratio, and I can eliminate a bunch of problems that you don't see looking head-on at it.

Add to it the fact that it really needs to be repotted in the spring means that if I don't do it by then, I'm stuck for the next 3 years or so looking at the inferior front or a weird angle...OR...it goes in a round pot :D:D:D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brian
I think you are on the right track with your new plan, the "virtual" with the towel shows a way more interesting tree to me. That being said, you've done an amazing job getting it to where it is now, in such a short time. Thanks for documenting your work so well, it's very informative and helpful.
Mike

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just a little more tweaking and we're there...

Attachments

• DSC05260.jpg
    DSC05260.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC05274.jpg
    DSC05274.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC05283.jpg
    DSC05283.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 182
Top Bottom