Japanese Friendship Garden of Phoenix - Phoenix Bonsai Society

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings on and All!

Recently I posted a reply about things to do in Phoenix and had three recommendation, Desert Museum, Phoenix Bonsai Society, and the Japanese Friendship Garden of Phoenix. Today we found ourselves in Scottsdale visiting with one of my daughters and the grandkids. So we went off to see the Japanese Friendship Garden, which is only 20 minutes away from north Scottsdale.

Once we entered the garden we ran smack into some awesome bonsai and T.J. Marcos of the Phoenix Bonsai Society. T.J. was overseeing the installation of the trees and the guard rail. (btw The PBS was to have a bonsai demonstration tomorrow, yet rain in the forecast regretfully pushed the event to next month.)

The first tree in the exhibit was a real knockout. It is also a prime example of how bonsai hobbyists have given back to the community. This Sierra Juniper, named California Challenge, was collected and styled by Harry Hirao, Ray Thieme and Richard Ramirez in 2007. The pot is by Jim Barrett. The bonsai was gifted by the T.J. Marco Living Trust to the RoHoEn. The tree was restyled in 2020 by Sam Alina and Vince Owyoun, both of, I believe, PBS.

IMG_0597.jpeg

The three trees shown below were also apparently donated by the Trust or PBS. (Sorry I did not get this info exact.)

IMG_0598.jpeg

IMG_0599.jpeg

IMG_0600.jpeg
A good start!

Will have to split up the image the JFG into the next post as there are a few too many for one post.

The gardens are laid out to represent various isolated scenes in Japan. Going around the garden…
IMG_0602.jpeg
IMG_0608.jpeg.

IMG_0604.jpegIMG_0607.jpeg

Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Continuing around the Japanese Friendship Garden of Phoenix. We particularly loved the Tea House area.

IMG_0610.jpeg
IMG_0612.jpeg
IMG_0614.jpeg
IMG_0615.jpeg
IMG_0620.jpeg
IMG_0619.jpeg
IMG_0624.jpeg
IMG_0625.jpeg

IMG_0626.jpeg

Incredible garden, packed into a surprisingly smaller area! It an example of what Japanese ingenuity can do! Entire visit took an hour as the Gardens were closing. Worth returning!

Only regret we had was our departure back home will be just before the next Phoenix Bonsai Society meeting. So this will be on the agenda for our return next time.!

Cheers
DSD sends

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Terrific to see Phoenix and Scottsdale have this kind of park. Used to live there way back when. Have always loved that area.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I was just in phoenix and scottsdale for a friend's wedding in suprise, az! can't believe I did not know about this place. thanks for sharing DSD!

Top Bottom