japanese juniper

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a garden juni i purchased at a tree and shrub nursery around my way,it was one big mass of foilage,and was hard to check the trunk for inverse taper and such,the trunk measured 13/4" and after some basic styling is about 10"tall,for 14$ i figured i give it a try,im hoping to make a decent informal upright,it also had possibilities to be a nice cascade but i really dont like that style much for this type of tree,my question is,should i jin all the lower branches?or keep the lowest branch to the left,any styling help would be appreciated.Sorry about the crappy pics.

Attachments

• resized 0629.jpg
    resized 0629.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 133

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd get rid of the lower right hand branch. It does absolutely nothing for the design.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont plan on messing with any branching till the tree grows for awhile,just wanted to do a initial styling,focusing on the trunk,and making a game plan for the future,when i do jinn it will probalbly be next year,thanks for any help.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How about the lower left hand branch,should it stay,jin or go??

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow,i removed that branch guys,and it looks much better already,i get a photo soon.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm wondering if even a windswept style might fit the movement of the trunk,and jin everything on the left.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is the pic with the branch removed,i appreciate the help,i wanted to get some input before doing anything else to the tree.

Attachments

• resized02.jpg
    resized02.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 92

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much better. Let it grow now and work on foliage pad developement. Don't be in a hurry to re-pot. Wait until spring.
Good Luck,
Tona

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Tona,i need all the help i can get,some trees its easy to see the inner tree but others i feel like i have a artistic block,its good to have fellow enthusiasts to turn to with many years of experience when this happens.:)bonsaitalk rules!

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike,

Interesting little piece of material - off to a nice start. The removal of the 1st right branch was smart. On the left the lowest stump bothers me - the pointing downward part. But for the health of the tree leave everything intact for now, as others have mentioned. Get it (and keep it) healthy for now. This will give you time to really study it and plan for the future.

From these pictures it's a bit hard to determine whether branches or the apex are coming forward or backward. But that's OK for now.

Before winter sets in take a bunch of pictures from all sides and with some tilted angles. Create a study album. These will be helpful in the off season for you to 'draw' your image for this tree. That will help you find your design - whether windswept or slant. But more than likely you will want to let this guy grow out significantly before the real design reveals itself. Consider a grow box for re-potting in spring.

BTW - I like seeing a lot of jins left on juni's. So I would not totally remove anything else. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this tree it looks very interesting and you can not beat a juniper as a Bonsai, they take to so many styles and really mimic many trees with styling. I like how the way the small foliage adapts so easily on even small specimens to look like a much larger tree. I already see a large tree when looking at your young juniper Bonsai project. Good luck with it.

ed

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was a great $14. Congratulations.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for all the help,im going to leave it for now as mentioned,the tree leans forward alot.

Top Bottom