Japanese Larch Shohin?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Folks,
Here is an update on this little Japanese Larch.....or at least we think it is? It was collected along a roadside and the species hasn’t been identified so any help would be much welcome.
The cones are miniature and are the first ones that the previous owner had seen. Seeing as there were only 3, I’ve left them on.
Also it was air-layered by the previous owner as he thought the original bottom trunk was way too straight. When I repotted it this spring I wanted to expose the roots more….and YES… I know that the pot doesn’t work BUT I think its better than the other choice I had which was a normal 1 gal. black plastic pot.
A couple of pictures from the fall 2009 and yesterday.
Cheers
G

Attachments

• DC's J. Larch existing front.jpg
    DC's J. Larch existing front.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 974
  • DC's J.Larch existing back.jpg
    DC's J.Larch existing back.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 947
  • DC's Jap. Larch Front May 2010.jpg
    DC's Jap. Larch Front May 2010.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,031
  • DC's Jap Larch Back -May 2010.jpg
    DC's Jap Larch Back -May 2010.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 971

cbobgo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice, I like what you have done with it.

I'm wondering how it would look with the apex rounded off just a little, to give it a more aged, less triangular look?

- bob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like this little tree very much... I was also wondering what Bob asked.. about rounding off the top.. However, looking at the pics it might not be possible..Either way, I think it looks good now, even if a rounder apex is not a possibilty.. Also, I think the tree will be filling in quite a bit more and probably take on a different look... Also, since it is a cascade, it can be viewed at any angle so to speak.. What doe it look like with a 35-45 degree turn?

Rob

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update

An update,
The feeding program seems to be working nicely. I soft pinched a few weeks ago and it's set up nicely. Cant wait to see its fall colour.
Cheers
G

Attachments

• J.L.SCJuly2011.jpg
    J.L.SCJuly2011.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 738
  • J.Larch S.C.07-11.jpg
    J.Larch S.C.07-11.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 691

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Why did you shorten the tail? It's now planted in a pot that is too tall.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Actually the original pot is taller than the one it's in now. The original pot was also "tippy" and I wanted to expose the root base. It may appear that I shortened the lowest branch, I didn't but I am growing out the center branch to build on the triangle concept. Cheers G

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ghues,

I think I know what jkl refers to. Your May '10 shot shows a bit more 'dip' at the tip of the bottom branch. The current one seems to have lost the dip at the tip, perhaps lost in the fuller needle growth. The image is more linear, less cascading. You might consider lowering a little more when you wire it next time?

But this really is a nice larch. Great work. My favorite bonsai material. I haven't found one yet that would work well with a cascade style, but will keep looking.

IMO - yours works very well with this pot. :cool:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Fall Colours -Almost

An update on this little guy in his fall colours.
Cleaning up (OK....ok... just moving things around) and thought maybe the combo of this sandstone boulder and slab would work?:confused:

Attachments

• JLarchBackNov5th.jpg
    JLarchBackNov5th.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 569
  • Larch-Sandstone2.jpg
    Larch-Sandstone2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 533

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for the updates with seasonal color. A handsome larch which will certainly improve and age nicely.
I will be watching (in May) for your shots of the wonderful Spring tufts of new needles that it will show.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's looking great G.... :)

It certainly seems to be fitting the pot just fine. I tend to a bigger fan of cascades being in a hex/round/square that's equal in width to height, but that's a personal taste thing. I think this tree/pot pairing is fun and very interesting. Well done.

As a personal comment, I think it's a little premature to get overly concerned about the image of a tree in development, especially in regards to its relationship with its pot... sometimes they have to grow into them, and there's no error on the part of the artist whatsoever.

Victrinia

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The story goes that it is Japanese. A number of decades ago a sawmill in a small coastal town of Tahsis converted its lumber production specifically for Japan and during that era a forester got some seed from Japan, grew seedlings at a local nursery and he planted them amoung a douglas fir plantation. Four (4) decades later....each fall there are a few reports that "the trees are dying" as a few of the remaining larch (now some 35 plus years old) can be seen from the highway. One specimen is right along the edge of the highway and produces babies that then get a haircut every few years from the highway maintenance crew's "bush whacker".
G

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So in truth.... your ditchadori is actually a mowerdori like my hemlock. :D

Thanks for the history lesson... plus 1 to you!

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm pretty sure its Japanese as well .... I have both Japanese and American Larches... this has the bark and foliage characteristics of a Japanese larch.... I could be wrong , it's happened before.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I really like your Larch. Although, I like penjing style and rock plantings in general, I think this tree is too nice (is that even possible? not sure) for penjing. With a tree this nice, the tree should be the focus rather than a composition. Just IMHO.:) Have you considered a crescent pot? Sorry not good at virts.:(

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like this little tree.. If I may, I would like to point out one little detail that, in my opinion, would make it even better. The distance between the apex and the rest of the tree seems a bit large. Generally, as your eye follows the tree upwards, the pads should become closer together. I created a virt with the apex pulled down slightly. For such a small change, I think it makes a big difference

JLarchBackNov5th1.jpg

Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You make a really good point misfit11, I'll keep that in mind and think on it over the winter.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like this little tree.. If I may, I would like to point out one little detail that, in my opinion, would make it even better. The distance between the apex and the rest of the tree seems a bit large. Generally, as your eye follows the tree upwards, the pads should become closer together. I created a virt with the apex pulled down slightly. For such a small change, I think it makes a big difference

JLarchBackNov5th1.jpg
Thanks October for the virt and the idea, I'll wait until the needles are off and then guy wire the main branch down and level out the branches.
Cheers
G

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice tree.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Adjusted with true fall colours

I took Octobers suggestions and modified the apex (shows up better on the front = second photo, first is current back) its continues to modify its colour as it prepares for winter. I'm encouraged with the amount of bubs for next year. If its healthy enough perhaps I'll defoliate in late June of 2012 to see if I can get smaller needles.
Cheers GJapLarchfallcolours 003.jpgJapLarchfallcolours 005.jpg

Top Bottom