Japanese maple #5 progression

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going back to the left gives the tree nice movement. I don't know how you'd decide something like this. Either way works, but it seems you'd have to decide what you want to say with the tree.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I would keep the apex a bit to the left
If it goes to the right it does feel more consistent and such but it makes it a little too nice girl/boy and losing its personality a little.

On the last virt though, the part that is going left is too long for me,
Following the same angle but with a lower apex would be better for me

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Going back to the left gives the tree nice movement. I don't know how you'd decide something like this. Either way works, but it seems you'd have to decide what you want to say with the tree.

Thanks Fred! I agree that either works. I believe going left creates more tension and going right, to Djtommy's point, makes for a more "agreeable" design. The apex, although not clear in the photos, has a nice front to back to front again movement which is quite nice.

You've got to ask yourself, 'what would Luis Vallejo do?'
I do.

Yes indeed! He is awesome! I do believe he gets quite a bit of help from the very talented Mario Komsta as well.

gax

Seed
Reaction score
Mach5- I absolutely love this tree. I have to say that your comment about moving the apex toward the right, makes the whole story more consistent! I think moving it to the right, will make a massively positive change!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Personally, having the apex go to the right appeals more to me. Moving to the right repeats the movement of the second and third trunks. If it moves to the left, the subordinate trunks really don't make sense, as they move strongly to the right. If you take the apex to the left, the secondary trunks need to be less dramatic in heading to the right.

But I am no expert. I've never won a ribbon or a trophy at a bonsai show. So my comments are not particularly well informed.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just did a light repotting as I shifted slightly the front of the tree a few degrees counterclockwise. I cut off a couple of the bigger branches as I didn't think they were additive to the design. Unfortunately last year I lost several smaller branches that were wired during winter. I had wired several areas in mid January which I never do and paid for it! As is usual, we had periods of frigid weather and the unheated garage was left open by my wife inadvertently. The temperature went from 38F down to 20F in an matter of minutes. All wired branchlets died back. I was able to reclaim some of the lost growth as the tree bounced back strongly during the growing season. From what I am seeing, it looks like this spring it's budding very nicely and evenly all over. I expect this year to gain the additional growth still needed in some areas.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
with all the lost branches and all... still looks pretty darn well!

Thanks Max. Most were secondary branches. I did take two primary ones that I didn't think I needed any more and help open the design up. It will also allow more light to get down to the smaller second trunk.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Max. Most were secondary branches. I did take two primary ones that I didn't think I needed any more and help open the design up. It will also allow more light to get down to the smaller second trunk.
This is how I often see die-back: It is often the weaker ones that do not survive our abuse and create a more natureal openness than we can think of ourselves. In the end, trees drop branches all the time in real life.

Super tree.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
As is usual, we had periods of frigid weather and the unheated garage was left open by my wife inadvertently. The temperature went from 38F down to 20F in an matter of minutes. All wired branchlets died back.
Sergio, is the occurrence of wild temperature swings (in late winter especially) a major factor in branch dieback?
My Deshojo really suffered this winter, like no other year before. Many little branches died and the buds are still tiny. I hope it will bounce back too but I'm worried and can't understand the reason. Thanks! BTW It was outside on a balcony all the time.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio, is the occurrence of wild temperature swings (in late winter especially) a major factor in branch dieback?
My Deshojo really suffered this winter, like no other year before. Many little branches died and the buds are still tiny. I hope it will bounce back too but I'm worried and can't understand the reason. Thanks! BTW It was outside on a balcony all the time.

Extreme temp swings always a bad thing specially if it flash freezes your trees like it happened to me. A few degrees however not a problem. Even more problematic if branches are wired. Even given good protection, I always caution against wiring trees in fall and into winter.

Sorry to hear about your deshojo. The reason you had issues is most likely not enough protection. Deshojo also have weaker roots so they will benefit from extra winter care.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like the turn, the sub trunks are so appealing from this angle.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I've also been thinking for a while of this possibility.

FWIW I would vote for this design as well. Your execution has been obviously masterful, but I was never excited about your original design sketch. Probably can’t say why exactly. Perhaps the curves were just too soft and not dynamic enough. Maybe it’s because the direction of the tree is ambiguous with the apex pointing one way and the secondary trunks another. The proposed design pulls it together.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
FWIW I would vote for this design as well. Your execution has been obviously masterful, but I was never excited about your original design sketch. Probably can’t say why exactly. Perhaps the curves were just too soft and not dynamic enough. Maybe it’s because the direction of the tree is ambiguous with the apex pointing one way and the secondary trunks another. The proposed design pulls it together.

I don't think that my proposed new direction would work. One main problem is that the heavy branch sits left while the proposed design pulls right. The tree overall is heavier on the side it leans towards (left) and to make it work, massive changes will need to happen. I think it would build a different tree as opposed to a better one in my opinion. The smaller trunk's apex will eventually mimic that on the parent tree just taking time to get there.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry to hear about your deshojo. The reason you had issues is most likely not enough protection. Deshojo also have weaker roots so they will benefit from extra winter care.
I had to cut the whole upper portion. It had black spots on the bark signaling dead tissue and I thought it would spread.
Base of one branch.
20180409_184805.jpg
Cut after I already decided to remove the upper part.
20180409_184805.jpg20180409_185446.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Andrew, sometimes black areas just signal winter damage and not necessary a disease thankfully. In the future I would make sure to protect Japanese maples in general specially if they are in small pots. Always a safer bet.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is something about the three little piggies that just bothers me and I just cannot put my finger on what I might do about it were this my tree. There is a branch, opposite the lowest left branch (and probably in back), that 'just shouldn't be there', IMHO. But taking it away leaves 'a hole' and exaggerates the contradictory motion of the three little pigs. On the other hand, removing the tallest of the three little pigs helps ameliorate the contradictory motion, but any sense of unity is lost, for me. I dunno. It just confuses me.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There is something about the three little piggies that just bothers me and I just cannot put my finger on what I might do about it were this my tree. There is a branch, opposite the lowest left branch (and probably in back), that 'just shouldn't be there', IMHO. But taking it away leaves 'a hole' and exaggerates the contradictory motion of the three little pigs. On the other hand, removing the tallest of the three little pigs helps ameliorate the contradictory motion, but any sense of unity is lost, for me. I dunno. It just confuses me.

The trouble with photos is that inevitably flattens out anyhting we do. That branch is way back. As I work with the smaller trunks, I think that area will need to be further sorted out ie. apex will be taller and mimic the direction of the parent tree etc. I felt I posted a pretty good photo but when compared to the real thing is much flatter. Branches even cross to soften the trunk line in spots while in the photo it almost appears as if one can see that line naked all the way to the top. That's the beauty of trying to translate sculpture into a 2d medium. A mostly futile exercise.

Top Bottom