Japanese Maple Forest

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
This has been one of my favorite trees over the last 12 years or so. It originally had one trident maple stuck in the bunch and I removed it. Although a even number of trees, it is really nice under the lights and in the fall. I know the front tree need its lower left limb to come off. Comments or suggestions appreciated.

Dano

Attachments

• 100_1641.jpg
    100_1641.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 177

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love forests!

My comment - every good forest starts with a focal point. You need at least one tree that stands out as the tallest, and the other trees should all be different heights. Right now your forest is made up of trees that are all about the same size (height, girth, etc). Add some small trees, and consider adding one big one.

Also... some may disagree but I am not a big fan of the mondo grass (in a bonsai). I have it in my Japanese garden by my pond, but I think it is out of scale in a bonsai forest and makes the trees look small.

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
I agree, I have some smaller trees to add and when I trim back hard, I will choose a focal point. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dano

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with Bonsai nut. Also, I don't care for the way the soil is dressed. To me that grass stuff looks disproportional to the trees and I don't like the way the rock looks. The way you have it dressed draws my attention away from the trees. Simple moss could enhance and compliment the overall look of this work.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would definently add a bigger tree thats taller to the center to give the group a nice apex,the group is to flat at the top.

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will consider your comments. The grass was dwarf mondo grass out of my front yard, moss might look better. I live near the mountains and rock outcroppings are common. This particular rock had character but may not be in the right setting if it is competing with the trees.

Dano

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If I'm remembering correctly, Peter Adams suggested replacing the mondo grass with something more in scale, (a rough moss ...)and covering up significant portions of the rock ...or removing it all together.

I think the suggestion of finding or growing a larger tree (or 2) would benefit this planting tremendously.

Top Bottom