Japanese maple raft project

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why does it need all that height ? Still looks Messy to me... I like post 87 a lot... As Is, it needs a new Direction...Looking forward to seeing what you can transform it into ????
Come on, Bolero, no one can be as muppet-headed as this! He said in several posts back he wanted to increase girth on the trunks. He’s taken it out of a show pot, and put it into a grow box.

Now, what do you suppose he wants the tree to do? Sit there and refine itself??? Should he pinch all the new growth and try to get small leaves? Oh!!! Maybe you think he should defoliate it???

And, OMG!!! He’s gone and WIRED THE NEW SHOOTS WHILE THEY’RE SOFTAND FLEXIBLE!!! WITH LEAVES ON!!!

Heresy!!!

Just D@mn!!!

Bolero, you know if you would actually pay attention to what’s going on, you might just learn something!

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Can’t believe I saw this thread for the first time today. What a great progression! I’m motivated to knock over a bunch of small trees here with a tractor and see what develops.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Outstanding achievement. This one has a bright future.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This one really likes the grow box and straight up Akadama... those sacrifice branches are 4' long and almost an inch thick.
View attachment 263657

I wonder what Bolero will say now :eek:
It's come a long way in a few years precisely because of the vigour and 'messy' growth. Keep being messy @Dav4!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Dave, Nice, very nice raft! Are you using treated wood for your grow boxes?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Dave, I have always thought that the poison in the treated wood could kill the trees. Must not be true eh?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I googled it and found this.

"One of the steps they recommend is to use wood treated with ACQ - "This is an alternative wood-treatment chemical that contains no arsenic, chromium, or any other chemical considered toxic by the EPA.

If you are shopping for treated lumber nowadays, I don't think you'll find CCA-treated material in the home centers anyway since its use was restricted by the EPA in 2004. It will be more likely be ACQ or some other chemical."

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Another growing season began a few weeks ago and I’ve already got some runners a foot-long :). This year, I’m going to try and add a few more trunks via grafting and continue to thicken the two main trunks. By the way, this is the back side of the tree

959890D0-7445-42DA-A4D4-D0A534BB93FE.jpeg

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How have the grafts gone @Dav4 ? Hopefully, you've had another year of good growth and branch thickening.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
How have the grafts gone @Dav4 ? Hopefully, you've had another year of good growth and branch thickening.
Not so good. I started detaching them a few weeks ago... one warm and breezy day (temps in the mid 80's F) and 2 of the grafts went crispy overnight, while one other appears to have taken. Remediation options are currently under review!!

Top Bottom