Japanese maple seedling hardly growing

robin99

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,
New to bonsai and around spring time this year I got into it. I had a friend who has a japenese maple tree and so I collected the little seedlings and not knowing about soils at the time put them in regular garden mix with a bit of perlite. Since then one has grown a decent amount but for the most part they have hardly grown. I fertilized them during the summer(half strength every two weeks) and they stayed in an area that got sun from 11-4 roughly but stayed under a light mesh to prevent sun burn. I’m wondering if these are just slow growing trees or if I’m doing somthing very bad. Next spring I hope to put them in a much better draining mix that I have now learned about.

Attachments

• 60C93B1E-2FED-4636-B8FC-245078B879F5.jpeg
    60C93B1E-2FED-4636-B8FC-245078B879F5.jpeg
    389.8 KB · Views: 42

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
With slight browning, curling at the tips of the leaves.. and that garden soil inbetween their toes..

My guess, is that the culprit is actually overwatering...

Wait until completely dry, when using retentive soil, then water completely THROUGH..

Try it out.. let us know...

robin99

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With slight browning, curling at the tips of the leaves.. and that garden soil inbetween their toes..

My guess, is that the culprit is actually overwatering...

Wait until completely dry, when using retentive soil, then water completely THROUGH..

Try it out.. let us know...
That’s a good point. I will let them dry out more before watering and see how that goes. Thanks!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also.. if you knew what KIND of Japanese Maple your friend’s tree is (and any other acers(palmatums) in the area..) perhaps slow-growing IS a trait..

My guess, they were collected and planted fresh(green).. this means that in reality, they’ve only seen a PORTION of a growing season. This coupled with the overwatering appears to be the reason. Nothing to worry about, now that you know.

Just protect them when it get’s cold... I’d wait to repot until spring.,.. use aggregate soil.

I love growing Acer from seed!

robin99

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also.. if you knew what KIND of Japanese Maple your friend’s tree is (and any other acers(palmatums) in the area..) perhaps slow-growing IS a trait..

My guess, they were collected and planted fresh(green).. this means that in reality, they’ve only seen a PORTION of a growing season. This coupled with the overwatering appears to be the reason. Nothing to worry about, now that you know.

Just protect them when it get’s cold... I’d wait to repot until spring.,.. use aggregate soil.

I love growing Acer from seed!
Yes that’s true. I have really enjoyed growing them even if it has been slow. This year I think it was a bit of a shock for the transplant. Just need to protect them over the winter and next year in new soil and a fresh start I think they’ll do great. I was planning on using Napa 8822, perlite and like bark all equal parts. Would this be okay or do seedlings like a specific soil type

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes that’s true. I have really enjoyed growing them even if it has been slow. This year I think it was a bit of a shock for the transplant. Just need to protect them over the winter and next year in new soil and a fresh start I think they’ll do great. I was planning on using Napa 8822, perlite and like bark all equal parts. Would this be okay or do seedlings like a specific soil type
Your plan sounds good!

1st year seedlings, in my garden, get smaller particulate soil than my older Acers.. buuuut by next spring, your seedlings will be MORE than ready for the mix you described.

If going inorganic heavy (and THIS is good.) I strongly recommend mixing Azomite(minerals and trace nutrients) and Small/moderate amount of a more balanced, slow release granular fert (Osmocote) into your substrate... but that’s just me.

🤓

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
a japenese maple

Well, a "Japanese maple" can be one of more than 1,000 cultivars of Acer palmatum or Acer amoenum.

one has grown a decent amount but for the most part they have hardly grown.

From your pictures, the seeds are probably from a "red dissectum" (there are many that can be listed in that category).

These trees are usually grafted because most of them are weak on their own roots. The seeds you can get from them are most of the time not true to the type, and most of them won't last until their second year.

But some do !
So don't be discouraged, but bear in mind that only a proportion (?) of them will dwindle and die. Don't expect to keep them all, but take good care of the survivors, they can be "Le Beau Brummel" one day :cool: ...

Top Bottom