Japanese Maple yard-adori: suggestions?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
nice. it looks like sango kaku like others said. i just got a regular green palmatum (i also have one as bonsai because that one was from someone who grew from seed or cutting and it was 1.5" thick before i hardcut it)...the new one i couldnt pass up at home depot for $29 because it was almost as thick as yours, roots looks a bit wacky or it is a graft im sure so i might just develop it is a nice patio/garden container tree. they have value to me at that size as well for maples for my garden.

good luck

deanpwr

Seedling
Reaction score
In my case I really should reduce the height of it for the balcony, plus I have other bonsai so I'll give it a go and see what I come up with.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We know I like URO...I stated that above. So, I would embrace it... You could shorten that trunk on the right...if you grafted some branches lower...and make that top apex shorter in comparison. You might get back budding though...making that chop.
20210413_100711.jpg

deanpwr

Seedling
Reaction score
We know I like URO...I stated that above. So, I would embrace it... You could shorten that trunk on the right...if you grafted some branches lower...and make that top apex shorter in comparison. You might get back budding though...making that chop.
View attachment 367773
Now we're talking!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Or maybe to...dramatic... I'm a sucker to a slanted tree. Or keep it as is as the trunk and do an inverse triangle for that canopy...the movement in the trunk just makes me see it as such.
20210413_102553.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I remember being told...this tree couldn't be bonsai.

Yet, even William Valavanis likes this tree. His inquiring about it...has had others now, look at it differently. I'm just saying...Those words told to me early on...had me treat this tree like a potted tree for many years. How far it's come...for taking it in check and applying bonsai techniques... It has me look at things differently... especially on grafts. I do get some...don't like grafts...I agree that some grafts are horrendous. But...some are sound. At the end of the day...It's about what one can live with...on their bench. With this hobby of ours...so many styles...and such. There is a tree out there for everyone. That's my take...

~Enjoy your journey.

Ryusen 2021 (2).jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep in mind, if you remove the soft wood from the hollows and you fill it with some hardening putty, you can still get these to close over time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Keep in mind, if you remove the soft wood from the hollows and you fill it with some hardening putty, you can still get these to close over time.
True enough...Sergio has a thread on doing such an application.

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
Your tree has more positives than negatives.

Positives:
- Healthy tree
- Movement in primary structure
- Good nebari
- Red juvenile bark

Negatives:
- Large wounds

The wound will take 5-10 years to heal, more likely 5 as it is young and looks like it has a good amount of callous growth. I would embrace the side that does not have the scar as the front, that way you no longer have any negatives for display. Work on closing wounds over time and that side can potentially become the front later down the road. Here is a sketch of what I would think the process will look like the next 5-6 years. If you have patience I think you can have a really nice looking maple 5-7 years from now. I see about 5-6 additional options but those would require a longer timeframe and technique.

4C4B7F81-505C-4035-99D3-3512E0F0A2B8.jpeg

deanpwr

Seedling
Reaction score

Positives:
- Healthy tree
- Good nebari
- Red juvenile bark

Negatives:
- Large wounds

The wound will take 5-10 years to heal, more likely 5 as it is young and looks like it has a good amount of callous growth. I would embrace the side that does not have the scar as the front, that way you no longer have any negatives for display. Work on closing wounds over time and that side can potentially become the front later down the road. Here is a sketch of what I would think the process will look like the next 5-6 years. If you have patience I think you can have a really nice looking maple 5-7 years from now. I see about 5-6 additional options but those would require a longer timeframe and technique.

View attachment 367826
Wow thanks for the effort! Pretty much what I had in my head and same starting point as Leatherback.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well it definitely doesn’t look like a standard green JM root stock
Checking about this online finds that Mr.Maple says there are about thirty (red) coral bark varieties. Evidently, one of them is better as rootstock. I had one in the landscape until the two in a row Winters From Hell and I remember distinctly that the bark was unremarkable in summer, very much like the stock that is spoken of in the video linked above. It was spectacular in winter, but JM suffer split bark in spring freezes if the bark is not shielded from direct sun. In fact I bought it because I liked the lighter color leaves just as much as the bark. I only have one position in my yard where that can be now and it has a JM species volunteer from my old house, and it's not going anywhere. Here is a photo that I took yesterday that I didn't look closely at until I got home from Big Box. It almost shows a similar pattern of branching on the far side of the graft site which might explain the OP's scaring source....
JM red stock red scion.JPG

Last edited:

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score

Positives:
- Healthy tree
- Good nebari
- Red juvenile bark

Negatives:
- Large wounds

View attachment 367826
This is amazing!

Top Bottom