Japanese mountain maple - seeking thoughts!

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Japanese mountain maple, was initially going to get one just to plant, not for bonsai, but found this in a local nursery...any thoughts on it? Looks like it's got OK taper and beginnings of alright nebari to me. I mean it's a long long way off a thick trunk, but I think it's got potential to look nice.

Curious about the leaf colour - it's this the tree's leaves turning towards red autumn leaves?

I'd be interested to hear what you guys would do - go for bonsai or just plant (not now, next year) and enjoy! I'd be happy with either to be honest, the autumn colours look dreamy! 🍁

Attachments

• 20200711_153811.jpg
    20200711_153811.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 20200711_153815.jpg
    20200711_153815.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200711_153828.jpg
    20200711_153828.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200711_162601.jpg
    20200711_162601.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 89

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Lol...I'm hardly the one to ask about maple!

But the rootage looks nice enough.

Sorce

Haha you're my go-to guy! My free source (or sorce) of wisdom. See what I did there 🙄😬

Yeah I like the roots. I love the whole thing to be honest! Does have some brown crispy leaf tips, any thoughts? Was quite dry when I purchased, had a good drink now

Attachments

• 20200711_164949.jpg
    20200711_164949.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200711_164938.jpg
    20200711_164938.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 78

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hahah! This is the first time I found out the sun shines in England.

I never thought "too much sun" was possible there....but maybe...!

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Hahah! This is the first time I found out the sun shines in England.

I never thought "too much sun" was possible there....but maybe...!

Sorce

It's been a ridiculously sunny month or so! But also a ton of rain. England is weird. Pop it in some shade? Currently sat on my very sun kissed garden table

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been a ridiculously sunny month or so! But also a ton of rain. England is weird. Pop it in some shade? Currently sat on my very sun kissed garden table

Reckon it depends where it was previously. It's too new to your yard to blame your position on anything yet.

I've been thinking of this thing where they talk about wetting lower leaves and the coolness making them grow less. I don't believe that shit but I can't ignore the fact that wet low leaves will do something. Perhaps this is it, and this causes less growth.

This also fits into why we think water on leaves "burns" them. There is a one truth. What?

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Reckon it depends where it was previously. It's too new to your yard to blame your position on anything yet.

I've been thinking of this thing where they talk about wetting lower leaves and the coolness making them grow less. I don't believe that shit but I can't ignore the fact that wet low leaves will do something. Perhaps this is it, and this causes less growth.

This also fits into why we think water on leaves "burns" them. There is a one truth. What?

Sorce

Food for thought there Sorce, food for thought...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ranchers Pie!
20200708_191658.jpg20200708_200558.jpg

Been watching too much Ramsey!

Sorce

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
So I asked on a FB group about the leaf colour - some said they reckon it's changing colours ready for autumn. One person said they think it's an autropurpureum red that has already turned a little green...any thoughts on this?

Was definitely sold as a mountain maple

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks like a red J maple. Leaves can turn green or bronze in the summer. This maple doesn’t have a great base and may be grafted. I’d spend my money on something better.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Looks like a red J maple. Leaves can turn green or bronze in the summer. This maple doesn’t have a great base and may be grafted. I’d spend my money on something better.

Cool, cheers for the input! I don't think it's a bad base. I'm not an expert on grafting, but I think if it has been then it was done pretty well. Saying you'd spend your money on something better is fair enough, but not particularly helpful. I like it anyway

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Intense sun exposure will turn many maple leafs a little red. If I look in my tray with seedlings, many of them have a little red in the leaves.
The tips crisping is from either salt buildup (foliar feeding?) or from trouble at the roots, typically a pot gone too dry for a bit, root tips struggling in warm weather and the leaves just getting too little water.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Mountain maple is the generic Japanese term for all Acer palmatum, Japanese maples. There are also many different cultivars of JM with different shaped and colored leaves. This appears to be one of the bronze leaf/ red leaf types so the leaf color is natural for it in summer. They do tend to have larger leaves than some other cultivars which can make smaller bonsai more difficult to achieve.
Burnt leaf edges is par for the course on JM. Plenty of water should reduce the extent. They can be defoliated in late summer in time to grow a new set of unmarked leaves for better autumn colour but that's really an advanced technique for established trees. Younger, smaller trees need all the leaves they have to grow and stay healthy.
Best location depends on how hot the sun is. Full sun is better for compact growth but if leaf burn continues try to provide some afternoon shade. When daytime temps get near 40C here I provide shade.

This tree is fine for a beginning tree.
JM have a tendency to develop lumpy areas when a cluster of shoots grows from one place. The cluster at the top of your tree is typical. When you see more than 2 shoots at any place they should be thinned to avoid lumpy growth.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Intense sun exposure will turn many maple leafs a little red. If I look in my tray with seedlings, many of them have a little red in the leaves.
The tips crisping is from either salt buildup (foliar feeding?) or from trouble at the roots, typically a pot gone too dry for a bit, root tips struggling in warm weather and the leaves just getting too little water.

Thanks for the info, very useful. Suspect it dried out slightly, will be keeping well watered!

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Mountain maple is the generic Japanese term for all Acer palmatum, Japanese maples. There are also many different cultivars of JM with different shaped and colored leaves. This appears to be one of the bronze leaf/ red leaf types so the leaf color is natural for it in summer. They do tend to have larger leaves than some other cultivars which can make smaller bonsai more difficult to achieve.
Burnt leaf edges is par for the course on JM. Plenty of water should reduce the extent. They can be defoliated in late summer in time to grow a new set of unmarked leaves for better autumn colour but that's really an advanced technique for established trees. Younger, smaller trees need all the leaves they have to grow and stay healthy.
Best location depends on how hot the sun is. Full sun is better for compact growth but if leaf burn continues try to provide some afternoon shade. When daytime temps get near 40C here I provide shade.

This tree is fine for a beginning tree.
JM have a tendency to develop lumpy areas when a cluster of shoots grows from one place. The cluster at the top of your tree is typical. When you see more than 2 shoots at any place they should be thinned to avoid lumpy growth.

Thanks for the info Re cultivars, makes a lot of sense! I suspect you're right, that it's likely a red leaf cultivar. I'm guessing observing the colour changes throughout the year will make that clearer!

Yeah I read about defoliation, but I agree it's not something I would try yet, good to keep in mind for future years though. We had temperatures of 35C recently, but that's very rare in my parts, will keep an eye on it though.

Thanks for the cluster info, actually one step ahead on that part (for once!) - removed down to two shoots last night. Good to see I'm learning something!

Like I said, I'd have been quite happy just enjoying this tree, not treating it as bonsai. I'll see how it gets on over the next year 😊

Thanks for your great info, as always!

Top Bottom