Japanese weeping cherry tree / not bonsai

Rip

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I recently planted a weeping cherry in my yard. It is getting the right amount of sun according to my research. All the leaves turned brown and crispy within 2 weeks. My first though was I underwatered it but after pulling back some of the mulch the soil seemed good and moist. The only thing I can think of is that about 1 foot under the soil is clay. I dug about a 3-4 ft deep hole and around 4-5 ft wide and filled with good soil. Im hoping it will begin to bud, but if it doesn't do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So I recently planted a weeping cherry in my yard. It is getting the right amount of sun according to my research. All the leaves turned brown and crispy within 2 weeks. My first though was I underwatered it but after pulling back some of the mulch the soil seemed good and moist. The only thing I can think of is that about 1 foot under the soil is clay. I dug about a 3-4 ft deep hole and around 4-5 ft wide and filled with good soil. Im hoping it will begin to bud, but if it doesn't do any of you guys have any suggestions?
How deep did you plant it? Generally, in clay soil, it's better to plant a bit on the high side or else the roots stay waterlogged.

Rip

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I figured if it was waterlogged i would have seen leaf yellowing.
A9BD67FD-72C7-46FB-9845-7D71FA974E79.jpegA390C702-5570-4D62-A840-1D3A5F6F2517.jpegAC18C9E5-5431-4437-8961-EB72D559A4D3.jpeg

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I think you may have transplanted the tree at the wrong time of year. Early spring right before the buds break is the optimal time for repotting and transplanting trees because it gives the roots time to establish before putting out lots of new growth. It's possible that you also disturbed the root ball when you planted this tree. I recommend cutting back a little bark on a branch or piece of the trunk to see if it's still alive. If it's green, it's alive. If not, then it's probably not alive... Don't give up hope! Some trees bounce back after looking brown and unhealthy. Good luck!
(it also could just be waterlogged from the clay soil)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it's planted too low in the ground... whether that's the cause of the plant's condition... maybe? Unfortunately, I think it's dead. Any chance the seller has any kind of warranty?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience, fall is a better time to transplant/plant your tree in the ground. The air is cooler which helps for transpiration and the ground will stay much warmer than air temperatures.

Looks like the bottom couldn't keep up with the top. Good luck, but don't trust to hope......:(:D:D:D:D:D

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's planted too low in the ground... whether that's the cause of the plant's condition... maybe? Unfortunately, I think it's dead. Any chance the seller has any kind of warranty?

"Pissed off old man"?:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Was this a B&B tree (balled and burlap) or container grown? After working in a nursery for over 12 years, I've seen field grown trees (specifically cherries) dug up with barely any thick roots in the ball and only a few fine feeders. Usually they push really weak growth in the spring, and struggle through the summer. We call these "gear shifts" because the trunk is so loose, it moves around like you're shifting gears...

If that's not the case, I would suspect some watering issue, either too much or too little. How many times a week were you watering? How long were you watering? How were you watering, i.e. hose, gator bag, irrigation, just dumping a bucket of water around it?

The best way to water a newly planted tree is put the hose at the base of the tree on a slow trickle for 20-30 minutes, 2-3 times a week depending on light exposure and soil composition. Follow this schedule for at least the first year through the growing season, and more than likely the second or third year until established.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
"Pissed off old man"?:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D
The phrase was presented to me in a recent thread started by one of our newbie contrarians as he described those who, despite having been there and done that before him, felt he was wasting his time trying to fuse cypresses to create an impressive trunk. Anyway, I think it has a nice ring to it:cool:.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
The phrase was presented to me in a recent thread started by one of our newbie contrarians as he described those who, despite having been there and done that before him, felt he was wasting his time trying to fuse cypresses to create an impressive trunk. Anyway, I think it has a nice ring to it:cool:.
And for most its better than being pissed on!

Rip

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So it was 50% off sale at Home Depot and my wife wanted it. We were excited and did not even think to wait till the proper time to plant it. We took it out of the plastic pot, and put it in the ground. I watered twice a week, tues and Friday with 25 min deep watering at the base (unless it rained).
Still green under the bark and i see what looks like the beginnings of
Buds pushing. Fingers crossed

I do much better with small trees in pots and grow boxes than i do with big trees in the yard.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Such trees like 3/4 shade and acidic soil when young.

It looks dead, but don't touch it, it could recover next spring...

Top Bottom