JBP air layer advice

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a JBP in my garden and there are a couple of places ready for an air layering. This is my first time air layering and I don't want to screw it up. I've read some articles about it but mine seems larger than any others I have seen online. If they work they will have good trunks
(2" +/-) and low branches. Should I cut off the loooong center growth from the whorl before air layering? Here is what I have, please correct me or straighten me out if needed.

Clear girddle area of needles
Cut off all new growth on top of candles.
Cut ring size of branch. Deep but not too deep which I am unclear on.
Cut 6 vertical slits through the cut ring.
Wrap nursery pot around ring, wire close and pack with wet moss.
Keep moist but not soaking until fall and there will be roots.

Thank you for you kind guidance

Pic 1 air layer site of 2
Pic 2 whole branch with looong node.
Pic 3 air layer site of 4 (look at the nice bend already in place above the to be "trunk"
Pic 4 whole branch

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
You certainly picked a challenging species to air layer. The only person I know that is regularly successful is George Muranaka(sp?) in California. He has regular success with JBP but I am not sure many others have??? ...much to their frustration.

Furthermore...I am not sure the branches you are looking at air layering are even worth the effort...JBP is very flexible and can be easily shaped with wire...so bends don't really mean much. If I remember correctly, George typically airlayers only the strongest apical candles from the previous years growth...he selects locations with ample needles still attached to encourage budding and low branching after seperation...but he is trying to make small trees.

That said, I think it is certainly worth the learning experience and maybe you will get lucky!

I am sure he has pics of the process on his blog... http://www.muranakabonsai.com/

Good luck!
John

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
A friend of mine Peter Jones in Arlington frequently air layers JBP without an issue. Perhaps it's just the timing of the air layer. I can ask him next time i'm down when he applies his.

Ben

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You certainly picked a challenging species to air layer. The only person I know that is regularly successful is George Muranaka(sp?) in California. He has regular success with JBP but I am not sure many others have??? ...much to their frustration.

Furthermore...I am not sure the branches you are looking at air layering are even worth the effort...JBP is very flexible and can be easily shaped with wire...so bends don't really mean much. If I remember correctly, George typically airlayers only the strongest apical candles from the previous years growth...he selects locations with ample needles still attached to encourage budding and low branching after seperation...but he is trying to make small trees.

That said, I think it is certainly worth the learning experience and maybe you will get lucky!

I am sure he has pics of the process on his blog... http://www.muranakabonsai.com/

Good luck!
John

I have seen his posts and that actually made me ask the question as these branches are 3 or 4 x bigger than the air layers he has done. I am also air layering a couple big crape myrtle trunks this spring which does not intimidate me as I have propagated them severla times and they grow really well. Hopefully this fall I will be showing off some nice pre bonsai. Thanks!

Top Bottom