JBP air layer removed!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very Interesting, I would have thought the opposite with the talc sticking better.

Tachigi,

All I had to do was read the dip-gel info on your site, I may order the gel from you and warm up by air layering the crepe myrtle in my yard while the junipers recover from digging for a season.

Thank you all

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Very Interesting, I would have thought the opposite with the talc sticking better.

Um... if you ever use the powder simply wet the area before you apply it. Cakes up and sticks well!

Crepes layer easy. You should have luck the first time.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Well the good news is it's still alive! The bad news is I was too busy to do proper winter maintenance so it looks a bit neglected. I'll pull it later this week when I have a moment of daylight and shoot a few photos. I have been wanting to slip it from the pot and check the root progress so I'll photo that as well.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am shocked at how fast this layer took!

I have never tried an airlayer on a pine, but I have always been told to not even try. Reason being, they take 2 years before they root and that's IF they root at all...which I was told was not likely.

Makes me want to try one.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Here's some shots taken tonight. Bla bla bla don't pick on the tree. From soil line up it's a mess. On purpose. I removed some lanky and way too large branches this past fall and decided not to remove the remaining needles. I did cut all new growth at some point last fall or winter. I was hoping to get some bud pop and I did, just not far enough from the tips. This may wind up being a graft project. Not going to do a thing to it this year except water and feed.

I am really happy with the "at and below" soil line progress. I figure it's been roughly 2 years from when I started the layer and it is a pot full of roots.

Attachments

• IMG_5856.jpg
    IMG_5856.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5864.jpg
    IMG_5864.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5865.jpg
    IMG_5865.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5867.jpg
    IMG_5867.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 102

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
A few more shots. Future nebari. Need to work them up and get them gong in the correct plane and position.

The last one is not my tree. It's Bruce Vlanch. It's got nothing to do with bonsai but what the hell. It's a headshot from him as Edna Turnblad in the Broadway production Hairspray. Nightmare material for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_5868.jpg
    IMG_5868.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5873.jpg
    IMG_5873.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5874.jpg
    IMG_5874.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 77
  • headbruce.jpeg
    headbruce.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 72

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Graydon,

I really like this little tree. Even more, I think I like how you've acheived the results. I love busting myths I once believed to be true (I.e. airlayering pines takes for ever if not impossible).

But, what do you feed your pines with? the needles on mine aren't nearly as deep a green as yours.

By the way...that last pic...I don't think there is any technique that would improve that ;)

Ryan

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
By the way...that last pic...I don't think there is any technique that would improve that ;)

Ryan

Are you kidding me? That was a photo after the work was done. Here's a before shot.

Attachments

• display_image.aspx.jpeg
    display_image.aspx.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Graydon, excellent progression on air-layering. I use only pots myself, usually deli containers that are recycled, I wouldn't use anything else.

Well done,

Will

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
But, what do you feed your pines with? the needles on mine aren't nearly as deep a green as yours.

Ryan

Sorry, forgot to answer this question. I mostly feed (often - like weekly) with miracle grow liquid, the stuff in the little screw on bottles. Acid loving mix. The mix up in a watering can stuff got to be a pain in the ass to mix up as much as I need. I despise granular fertilizer because it burns the cracks in my hands when I dig it out of the bag. Yes I know wear gloves. Right. If I wore gloves my hands wouldn't be cracked so I wouldn't need to wear gloves to keep the fertilizer from burning my cracked hands. The liquid screw on is by far the easiest.

FWIW I also gave up on poo balls and most other organics. Again too much effort and the smell got to be smelly. Every once and a while I add a bit of organics if I happen to catch it on sale.

I do use ironite in granular a couple times a year and I also have a secret powder that I use. OK if you must know it's Roots II and has seaweed (kelp). Monthly during growing season. Good luck finding it.

But the green in the needles may be from photoshop. Or the fact that the photo was taken under a mix of flash, high pressure sodium and florescent lights. What a color temperature nightmare.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, forgot to answer this question. I mostly feed (often - like weekly) with miracle grow liquid, the stuff in the little screw on bottles. Acid loving mix. The mix up in a watering can stuff got to be a pain in the ass to mix up as much as I need. I despise granular fertilizer because it burns the cracks in my hands when I dig it out of the bag. Yes I know wear gloves. Right. If I wore gloves my hands wouldn't be cracked so I wouldn't need to wear gloves to keep the fertilizer from burning my cracked hands. The liquid screw on is by far the easiest.

FWIW I also gave up on poo balls and most other organics. Again too much effort and the smell got to be smelly. Every once and a while I add a bit of organics if I happen to catch it on sale.

I do use ironite in granular a couple times a year and I also have a secret powder that I use. OK if you must know it's Roots II and has seaweed (kelp). Monthly during growing season. Good luck finding it.

But the green in the needles may be from photoshop. Or the fact that the photo was taken under a mix of flash, high pressure sodium and florescent lights. What a color temperature nightmare.

Thanks Graydon!

This is some useful stuff for a pine noob. By "acid loving" do you mean the stuff they make for azalea's and such?

I know that may sound like a silly question, but when it comes to ferts I know close to nothing. By the way, do you mind giving up your source for finding Roots II ? ;):D

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Graydon!

This is some useful stuff for a pine noob. By "acid loving" do you mean the stuff they make for azalea's and such?

I know that may sound like a silly question, but when it comes to ferts I know close to nothing. By the way, do you mind giving up your source for finding Roots II ? ;):D

Yes, the stuff for azaleas. Roots II may be off the market. I got mine from Stone Lantern a year or two ago. Like most everything else I bought to much but it's a powder and I can "just add water" whenever I need it. I'll see if I can find my other sealed package and get manufacturer info from the label.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is my understanding that "Roots 2" has merely been replaced by Roots with iron. In any circumstance availability of the product can be found on their site.

<<<Product Overview of Dry Roots 2 Fertilizer
By Howard “Zef” Double, KCMGA

Dry Roots 2 is a blend of natural nutrients that are derived from sea kelp, alfalfa meal, peat humus, poultry manure, iron sulfate, vitamins B1, C, E, myoinositol, glycine. It has a low salt content and is free of pathogens.

Applications for Dry Roots 2 are gardens\flowerbeds, bulbs, trees\shrubs\containers, potting\seed starting, sod and newly seeded lawns, stressed lawns.

Benefits for using Dry Roots 2 are increased root biomass, increased root length, increased plant height, earlier flowering, increased flowering, and increased fruit production.

Roots products have been tested at institutions such as Yale University, Fairfield University, Stamford University, Virginia Polytechnic Institute, and Virginia State University.>>>

I also was unable to acquire said product in the application of Persiano's Feeding Regimen. I found something readily available and comparable and have used it with great success. I use Maxicrop. What I especially like about their fish fertiliser is the "no smell", I include in my fert cakes as well.

Fertilisers are surrounded by a certain aura of mystery, this does not have to be so. As most sites have their product ingredients listed it is easy IMHO to find alternative, as brand A is just as good as brand B. To wit: Walter buys whatever is on sale...;)

PS: Sorry for the hijack Graydon.

Attachments

• p-seaweed.jpg
    p-seaweed.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 36
  • p-plus-iron.jpg
    p-plus-iron.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 32
  • p-liquid-fish.jpg
    p-liquid-fish.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 35

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rick and Graydon thanks for the help with the ferts!

Top Bottom