JBP Seedlings - Candle or not

waltr1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wired mine in early spring, before the buds start to move when they where repotted. To bend the trunks wire when it is recommended to wire JBP. To have the wire bite in, this growth takes place in the late spring/summer.

Reaction score
Pine Update

Hello Pine Lovers,

I finally took some pics of a few JBP's growing in the ground. One of the pics shows how long I let the sacrifice branches grow. Others show the trees after I've removed some of the sacrifice branches and the candles. Pines love to sprout in groups and grow knuckles so I try to remove any branches, especially high in the tree, that have started to get too thick.

I have found when cultivating trees from seed, I have to keep cutting the leader branch to get branches to grow low and where I need them. If I just let a tree grow, without pruning, it will just get long and lanky and it won't put branches where I want them.

Later

Juniperus Californica

Attachments

• AIMG_3950.jpg
    AIMG_3950.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 55
  • AIMG_3947.jpg
    AIMG_3947.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 49
  • AIMG_3954.jpg
    AIMG_3954.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 48
  • AIMG_3956.jpg
    AIMG_3956.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 56
  • AIMG_3959.jpg
    AIMG_3959.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 51

Wm Tom Davis

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FrankP999,
Thanks for showing your 4 seedlings.
The one in the colender is doing very nicely.
I've heard that colenders or mesh pots help seedling's root growth.

I would just let the seedlings grow for a few years and develop good strong healthy stock and roots; no candling, pruning or wiring.

At my bonsai clubs demo last week on a large JBP, David Nguy, who grows and sells JBP bonsai here in So Cal, mentioned that the top of the tree gets most of the growing energy. After a couple of years growth, begin styling from the bottom up so that the bottom branches get bigger and get some of that top energy transfered down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom