Jim Smith ficus

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
D20D9C2E-0A76-49A5-A100-EFC200A3B3A9.jpeg850F3CAD-98AB-41BF-B4AE-D7ECD84B4DAF.jpeg7AF073B1-CD06-4AA0-AD82-571039904FAF.jpegSince I am having a bit of trouble with one trunk I was advised to place it in a bigger pot.
Repot has been done.
I love this color but I would have preferred a green like the original.
This will work for now.
I did defoliate around the weakened trunk area and trim back the top a little after these photos.
The goal is to get some sunlight in to the interior on the weakened area.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know nothing about art. I just know what I like and I really like the new pot. The original pot was so close in color to the leaves it seemed to compete for my eye. The new pot doesn’t match anything and seems to be presenting the tree as the focal point of the presentation. Very nice!

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know nothing about art. I just know what I like and I really like the new pot. The original pot was so close in color to the leaves it seemed to compete for my eye. The new pot doesn’t match anything and seems to be presenting the tree as the focal point of the presentation. Very nice!
My fear is always that the pot will be the star.
I want the tree to be the star.
It is ok in small bonsai to use a bright pot for attention not sure that translates well to forests or clumps???
It was a proper size for what I needed though.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From the pics looks like the tree potted a little too high on one side (last 2 pics).
Lovely group though.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
From the pics looks like the tree potted a little too high on one side (last 2 pics).
Lovely group though.
I tried to keep it at the same height as before.
I will have another look at it today.
I do see that it is a bit higher than the other side. Thanks.
2E422E4E-50A0-444D-8559-8EF8F982E04C.jpeg

Last edited:

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the blue pot as well! Nice grouping.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My fear is always that the pot will be the star.
I want the tree to be the star.
It is ok in small bonsai to use a bright pot for attention not sure that translates well to forests or clumps???
It was a proper size for what I needed though.
I like both pots; the blue one for the color, and the green one for the size. Welcome to Shohin Bonsai!
It is just fine to use bright pots for clumps, in the right context.
BFA7E5E3-5DD5-4625-8886-148926DB2277.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 248867View attachment 248868View attachment 248869Since I am having a bit of trouble with one trunk I was advised to place it in a bigger pot.
Repot has been done.
I love this color but I would have preferred a green like the original.
This will work for now.
I did defoliate around the weakened trunk area and trim back the top a little after these photos.
The goal is to get some sunlight in to the interior on the weakened area.
I didn't realize the one tree was suffering. Really hope this helps it recover.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
All of my trees seemed to struggle a bit in the winter months. This one did hold on to most of its leaves but I did lose a bit of fine branching on one of the trunks.
will defoliate the canopy a little and do a repot soon- back in to the same pot.EFD47820-053B-4F1B-BDFB-A572A1782DE3.jpeg2B5A4974-600A-420A-9B83-A07BE20D7756.jpeg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cool tree.
Love that pot.
I did something that I have never done before and ordered straight from Japan on that one.
Not cheap but worth it.
Bonsai Pot by Shibakatsu, Tokoname pot via eBay. Probably overpaid but it was a good match.
There is a pink one on eBay right now that I like a lot but money is tighter than it was 16 months ago. 😁

Top Bottom