Juniper Sabina

edro

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My local nursery has quite a few Juniper Sabina 'Broadmoor'.
I have picked up a few over the last few years, but I can't seem to find much info online about them.

It seems that the only bonsai examples I can find are from Walter Pall.
Seen Here.
And Here.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
Mine seems to mix juvenile and mature needles randomly.
Also, they seem to be a little leggy.

Here are mine:
1. Bought last year, potted up this year.
2. Got last week.
3. Got last week 2.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 119
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Edro-
This was one of my first bonsai and I still have it after 10 years. You are correct about the needles and the legginess and I have been frustrated by these attributes. I had almost given up on it on more than one occasion, but it holds a place in heart because it was one of my original trees and it is a hardy little survivor. Last year, after repotting it in the spring, I just let it grow on my bench and it looked like it was starting to acquire some character. In September, Hurricane Ivan passed through Ohio causing all sorts of havoc and literally blew all of the soil particles from the little guy's container. When I noticed this on the next day, I thought it was doomed, but I added new soil anyway and hoped for the best. By the following spring, it began pushing out new little buds. I will post some pics tomorrow.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are some pics of the savin juni. The first is from four years ago after trimming back the foliage.
The second is from this season and I let the foliage grow wild - It forms little sprays similar to thuja. The tree is only about 15 inches high and too small for the scale of the foliage. The original apex died this summer and I bent the upper-most lateral branch up to create a new leader.

leboldrd
[/URL][/IMG]

edro

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The apex on one of mine died this summer too.
I was late watering one day, so I think the uppermost branches didn't get any water. :(

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you want to swap notes at the next meeting, I can bring my tree. The pics are not so great at conveying its depth. That is more the result of my failings as a photographer.

Top Bottom