Juniper styling question (J. Squamata Blue Star)

Thatguy85

Sapling
Reaction score
I collected this Juniper Squamata Blue Star in april this year, and was wondering whether I should remove the small left branch or the larger main branch on the right, from the branch on the left. I'm aiming for a literati style Juniper.
I realize that chopping the smaller branch is safer and maintains the flow of the trunk better, but chopping the right part might make for a more interesting look...
Any advice is welcome! (I hope the pic is clear enough though)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

A slight, gentle taper is best for Literati.

The right is already there, so leaving the left will mean you'll need some time to bring the left trunk back into a good even taper.

In less than that amount of time, I think you'll be able to figure out how to make the right one look better than the left.

Sorce

ponderingsage

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
You also might let it sit for the season and see if one side dies off, depending on how many roots you recovered while collecting. I sometimes have some die back if l had to cut roots.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
looks like good material to me. If I were you I would not be cutting anything off of the tree this season. Juniper are a little different than other trees, I usually let them build a head of steam before doing anything. To answer your question the branch I would remove would be the guy on the left (if I had to choose). The shape of this tree can be greatly changed by wire, so it's only your imagination limiting the design. But remember that wiring a tree that hasn't put out enough roots to be secure in the pot will wobble around and cause a lot of damage to the root system. So again, I would hold off until next fall to wire. The color on these things are great, I want one myself but haven't seen anything worth buying/collecting

Thatguy85

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks all! I won't touch it for a while, just let it grow stronger (btw I have 2 more, it was part of a 'clump' I gently ripped apart).

@ponderingsage: yeah when I lifted it from the ground it had very little roots and practically no soil left as it was very dry. I'm actually surprised all three survived.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You might try wiring it down some this fall, which would make it look les awkward and fit more into the style you are going for

Top Bottom