Juniper Styling suggestions

binwow

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought a juniper juniper procumbens nana a few months ago and it seems to have settle on his new home, I made some little pruning to provide more airflow and light to inner branches and also transplanted to a 3gallon fabric pot. When I look at my tree I can't find a place to start and I was hoping for some experienced players to give me a hand or two on where to start and what would be the best approach to this Juniper.

If needed I can take more pictures of different views but might need to do a little cleanup before you guys being able to see anything (ex: top view)

Attachments

• 20230425_133541.jpg
    20230425_133541.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230425_133612.jpg
    20230425_133612.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 41

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That second pic makes me think there might be an upright trunk to be teased out of that tree. Its hard to tell.

I'd start w/ finding a trunk. Put movement in it if you're able (and I think you would be able to). When you're putting movement in it, put branches on the outside of the curves. Lay those branches down. Clean the bottoms of them. Clean the crotches of them. Leave vigorous tip growth on all remaining branches.

Spend the most time finding the trunk though. It will come together quickly once you do that.

binwow

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you, when I repoted I made sure that all the bottoms on the branches were removed. But yeah I need to spend more time evaluating what can I do with the tree... Will take your suggestions in mind and if I manage to do any changes will post here pictures to get more advices on how to proceed.
ps: complete noob, I have some gardening experience but 0 on bonsai

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I find it best to evaluate trees in sections before trying to view it as a whole.
First check the roots to find where the nebari looks best. Roots will also give you the best trunk angle (where best roots are horizontal)
2nd check the lower trunk to see which side shows the best exit from soil, best curves, etc.
3rd check branches, especially lower branches to find which side gives the best view.
4th check any faults - things you would rather not look at which should be hidden at the back or covered with foliage.
5th Any features you really want to show off - shari, interesting bends, etc.

Finally try to combine each of the above elements. It is rare to have all the best features on the same side of the trunk so it's usually a compromise between the best view of each. Bear in mind that different species have different aesthetics - nebari is not so important in juniper bonsai but very important for maples. Also most of the upper branches can be moved or regrown.

You will probably still be overwhelmed with different choices, especially with these junipers as they usually have lots of possibilities. In most trees there are several viable options to develop different shaped trees which leads to indecision and procrastination as we are terrified of making the 'wrong' decision. Change of mindset is required. When you see several possible options and cannot decide which is better that can only mean that all are viable and that means it does not matter which option you choose. Masters have learned to just make a choice so it seems to be almost magic when the go straight form evaluation to decision. If you can't make a final decision try tossing a coin. Whichever choice you make is the correct one. Not making a choice is the worst option as the tree will never develop its potential until you make that choice and get on with bringing it to fruition.

binwow

Seedling
Reaction score
I took some more pictures and made rough sketches on photoshop online that might help a bit more (made me more confuse on what to do)

20230427_190519-2.jpg20230427_190611-2.jpg
20230427_190519.jpg20230427_190611.jpg
From the second picture I was thinking to remove that big branch and sticking with this front but after seeing from other perspective (pic1) I think that will be impossible to remove that branch due to high chance of scars.. Also the branch crossing over the top makes me feel that he is the real problem here.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A really great feature of juniper bonsai is dead wood.
Junipers naturally grow in really harsh areas - dry, cold, mountains, etc where they contend with hard climate so most junipers in nature have dead branches (jin) or part dead trunks (shari). In Japan junipers are styled with dead wood features to look like the wild cousins so instead of cutting redundant branches right off we can strip the bark and leave a short dead section. Well done this can look great, as if storms or snowfall has killed the branch but the tree survives.
Always look at redundant branches on juniper as possible dead wood features.

Top Bottom