Juniperus Shimpaku

Reaction score
Hello
Il would like to have some advises and tips for my Juniperus Shimpaku.
I bought him there are two years ago.
And now I would like to prune him.
You can see the 4 faces. I prefer the face A and my idea is to cut first all the needles who 're going down.
After that I'm going to refine and aerate him thanks to the wire.
I thank you so much for your advises and tips
IMG_4632.JPG
IMG_4633.JPG
IMG_4634.JPG
IMG_4635.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi,

You need to think: what is the best base, the best line from base to apex (you define where the apex will be), what are the "defects" you want to hide or even treat as things that give character to your tree and highlight them. Normally vertical and horizontal lines draw too much attention and seem unnatural so people avoid them. I like the front A that you prefer but maybe if you rotate a bit clockwise it will show a little more movement in the trunk. I don't know but if you're in the northern hemisphere now it is time to get into dormancy and not a good time to work on a juniper unless you're in a bit warmer place and can protect the tree over winter but still provide dormancy (35F to 45F for at least 2 months). Otherwise it is best to work it in the spring (if you need to wire be careful in the spring as with the sap flowing like a river it is easy to detach the phloem from the xylem) or in summer. One last tip I learned the hard way is try to keep as much as the foliage instead to cutting willy nilly and then wishing it to grow back again. Like this your Juniperus chinensis will do great. Subscribe to Mirai Live.

Reaction score
Thank you so much Rafael for your precious advises !
You 're totally right for the defects to hide and the character to show.
I'm going to see for the rotate a bit clockwise. It could be a good idea but i'm afraid that the most important branche is then too towards to the observer when you are in front of the tree.
In fact I'm from Paris in France. I just want to cut needles who grow down and perhaps to wire a little and I read it is normally possible in this period.
I agree with you too for the fact to keep as much as the foliage.
Since my beginning in bonsai my first goal was to cultivate my trees. Now it's time to try to make better to the esthetic side.
Thanks Rafael to have take the time to answer and give me your opinion and precious advices.

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello ,
Maybe you could try to remove the grasses that are growing , as they will grow and absorb some of the fertilizer and the pot is not really big .
In my opinion, the ligature wire should also be removed because it will become embedded in the bark.
This little juniper looks vigorous, but becareful , it has a lot of roots that grow on the surface it looks like the surface of the pot has been scratched, it is not so aesthetic and a little risky in case of extreme temperatures (too cold or too hot) and if it was mine I will cover them lightly with a little substrate.
As said previously, the tree should be rotated slightly because in the first photo, all the vegetation is on the same side, to the left of the trunk line.
This would give it a little more volume .
The third photo is not so bad .

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your picture 1 is similar to one of mine, as describer here:

1602952091225.png

I would go with image 3 as front though. If you are in fall now, it is a great time to work on your juniper, as long as you do not get deep frost for the next few weeks.

Reaction score
Hello Jaco94 and thank for you opinion and advices.
We are almost neighbours !
Indeed I m going to remove the grasses you're right.
In fact i bought this juniper with thoses roots outside. I find it so unsightly but I liked so much the rest of the tree that I purchased him. I agree with you in the fact i have to cover the air roots.
Tomorrow will be dedicated to this juniper.
I think to buy another rectangle pot for this bonsai.
What color could be great with my juniper at your opinion ?

Reaction score
Ok Jaco94 for the pot. I will be soon in a exposition where there will be "le pot japonais". I hope I will find a pot for my juniper.
Your Juniper is so cute !
You have to know the store "le petit arbre". I believe it's near you. I've bought many bonsai in this shop.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There are articles and videos out there by Ryan Neil, Mauro Stemberger, and Bjorn Bjornholm that demonstrate from start to end that which you ask. You really don't want to have one of us tell you what you should cut/prune out if you cannot see what direction the tree is going for yourself. It is better to have acquired the bonsai vision than it is to bend to the vision of others.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The 3rd pic does show the best movement. But it seems that trunk is somewhat void of branches on one side? Seems to lack taper as well.

Most of the smaller trunks are too small to be a continuation, and don't seem orientated well to be of fast use as branches for the taller part.

Slight difficulties only time and direction can fix.

So you have the time to do as Vance Says.

Sorce

Reaction score
Thanks for your answer Vance. In fact I search just advises and tips but I have my own vision of my tree. It's just always interesting to have the vision of another people.
In fact I have choosen another face and I think this face is better.... for me ;)

Thanks Sorce. In fact I have worked my tree today . I don't have finished yet but I will show you it.

Top Bottom