Just got a smoker!

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone that has the patience for bonsai has enough patience for smoking. You just have to remember that your dog will love any mistakes you make. I keep a notebook containing such things as meat type, weight, outside temperature, humidity and preparation. I experiment with something new every couple of weeks.

KLSbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
A couple of pics of baby back ribs from the summer and a turkey from last Christmas.

Attachments

• 20170904_172427.jpg
    20170904_172427.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20171223_135130.jpg
    20171223_135130.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 18

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You musta smoked it high to get it done in 6 hours. Mine take 12 at about 215f. Plenty of hickory, fat side down.
Butts get smothered in mustard, rub of brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and smoked about 10 hours at 225. Set it in the rack and use a catch pan below for drippings.
View attachment 220160
Just curious, why fat side down? If the fat side is up, it kind of melts into the meat.

KLSbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This is from this summer, I cooked for all of our employees. Just ribs and wings. I smoke the wings for about two hours then deep fry for a minute or two. The ribs are rubbed in brown sugar and chipotle pepper spice rub. I smoke bone side down for the first 45 minutes then wrap in foil bone side up with brown sugar and butter for the next 4 hours. I keep my temps at 275 on a stick burner. I use pecan wood when I smoke pork. The earlier pick of the turkey was smoked with hickory and cherry wood.

Attachments

• 11030.jpeg
    11030.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 19

KLSbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sorry for the multiple posts. It took a few to scroll thru pics to find a couple of pics of some Boston butts. I usually cook butts that are 10-12 lbs. So I smoke for about 10-12 hours at 225F.

Attachments

• 20150718_104113.jpg
    20150718_104113.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20160508_181021.jpg
    20160508_181021.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 8

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I have been wanting one of these for a while... actually not so long i thought i made good baby back ribs in a crock pot. And i heard of brisket here and then another time some other place and remembered i had seen these before. Last week i saw some kansas guy that was going to have a class on bbq! Do i learnt about smokers.

So i talked to my house's board of directors and works out my Christmas present is an electric smoker, apple tree chips and all the needed stuff!

I can't believe how good ribs are with north Carolina bbq sauce (vinegar and hot peppers basically).

Gotta learn how to do brisket!!
Any tips?? Gonna cook first time next week. Maybe even smoked Turkey for Christmas.
Hueon, mi mujer me prohibio tener uno de estos! Pero tengo un amigo que hace hasta las pizas en el ahumador!
Felicitaciones y dusfrutalo!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just curious, why fat side down? If the fat side is up, it kind of melts into the meat.
Because with the fat side down, the “bark” develops on the meat side.?
For butts, I do fat side up because the cut is round enough to get bark elsewhere, and the fat bastes like you mentioned.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I got one a while ago but I could never get it up to the right temp to start with.
There was no airflow in the plate designed for holding the coals, I was planning on drilling some holes in that but never got around too it. Might give it another go now.
This thread makes me hungry.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's been proven that fat side up doesn't baste the meat. I do it fat side down so that if something sticks to the grate it's the fat that I'd throw away anyway.

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Gotta learn how to do brisket!!
Any tips?? Gonna cook first time next week. Maybe even smoked Turkey for Christmas.
Award winning brisket is actually quite simple. Most folks over-think it, don't do that... keep it simple!
1) Trim the fat cap down to where it is only about 1/4" thick. Too much fat and it will be too greasy. Too little fat and your meat will dry out!
2) Rub it down, generously, with black pepper and salt mixed 50/50. Don't cake it on super thick, just give it a good coating!
3) Allow the brisket to come up to room temp for an hour (its beef, its safe to do this with beef). While waiting, preheat your smoker to 250 degrees, for 1 hour, also.
4) Make sure you have a water bowl, full of water, in the smoker. Put this in while preheating.
5) Place brisket in smoker, fat side UP is 'my' personal preference. I've never had issues with my brisket sticking to the racks.
6) Use oak, mesquite, or whatever hardwoods are available in your area. Don't use fruitwoods for beef. Keep the smoke thin enough to see through it, like a ghost with a blueish tint.
7) Cook for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes p/pound and DO NOT OPEN the smoker to look at your meat. "If your lookin', you ain't cookin'!"

Better yet!
Go to Youtube and look up "BBQ with Franklin". He'll show you how to make the best darned BBQ brisket in Texas!

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use a maverick Bluetooth thermometer for the meat and the smoker, i can monitor the temps of my phone. I use a wood/charcoal smoker.

KLSbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thought I smelt a little something in the air. I'm in Dawsonville.

Top Bottom