Just So

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
... it was around the same time that I told my mother that I felt closer to God out in the woods then a church ...

I believe my brother could identify with you very well on that point! However, he took a different path and chose to become a clergyman. His church is in Killeen, TX, and he has had the opportunity to minister to many military families from Fort Hood.

He's still the outdoorsman. His hobby also draws questions and comments: he's a falconer. :)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Graham, what dry beans work well for you up your way? And lucky you to be a "tree guy" for a living up there!

Fanghorn, I also grew up back east and have fond memories of the hardwood forests in the mountains of Maryland and Virginia. Have you read any of the great classic old tree books by Donald Culross Peattie, like A Natural History of North American Trees, or the ones specific to the eastern and western US? Probably the greatest nature writing you'll ever run across. I greatly prize my old hardback Western trees edition. So much pleasure and such great info there.

Treebeard and Atilla: It sounds like LOTS of us get in the zone with bonsai! I was certainly hoping that was the case, and it's good to have those hopes confirmed!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
"Treebeard and Atilla: It sounds like LOTS of us get in the zone with bonsai! I was certainly hoping that was the case, and it's good to have those hopes confirmed! "

Well Will, either that, or we are all a bit, well, Nuts.;)

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fanghorn, I also grew up back east and have fond memories of the hardwood forests in the mountains of Maryland and Virginia. Have you read any of the great classic old tree books by Donald Culross Peattie, like A Natural History of North American Trees, or the ones specific to the eastern and western US? Probably the greatest nature writing you'll ever run across. I greatly prize my old hardback Western trees edition. So much pleasure and such great info there.

Yes I have, I have a hardcover of his Eastern and Central edition, and the newer combined (abridged) version of it and his western tree book.
I very much agree with your assessment of his writing. It's a shame that some people may look at the cover and pass it over because it's just another "tree book", because it is so much more than that.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I discovered this thread while reading a thread started by Kiani today. I am really glad I took the time to open the link and read this thread. I appreciate all the comments made in this thread. The time it took to read and explore this thread is probably the best spent time of my day.

Spirituality means different experiences for different people. For me spirituality in bonsai is the sense of awe, self contentment, reverence for nature and even a one-on-one relationship with God. These small trees make me realize it is me that is "small" in the grand scheme of things.

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I discovered this thread while reading a thread started by Kiani today. I am really glad I took the time to open the link and read this thread. I appreciate all the comments made in this thread. The time it took to read and explore this thread is probably the best spent time of my day.

Spirituality means different experiences for different people. For me spirituality in bonsai is the sense of awe, self contentment, reverence for nature and even a one-on-one relationship with God. These small trees make me realize it is me that is "small" in the grand scheme of things.

Couldn't put it better.

Top Bottom