Jwp material wtf

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes
My Japanese White Pine ---What To Fabricate. This one is in good old Mother Earth. An unknown cultiver to me. Not originally grown for Bonsai. Let this one grow for the most part untouched. Do not know what to do with it. Any guesses on the cultivar ?

Do you think it could be trained into a nice specimen? Not really sure which way to work this one. Seems to drop its needles ever year instead of persisting for 2 years. Although may be my bad observation.Regardless lots of branch with no foliage/needles.
Thoughts?

IMG_20150120_140905.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dunno,
But I like it.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, it looks healthy enough!

You are getting strong root growth. See how the internodes are getting longer and longer? That indicates strong root growth. It also means that tree is reaching out to find sunlight. Is it growing under tall trees that could be shading it?

No way to determine cultivar ( or even guess ) without a close up of the needles.

It needs cutting back, and probably more sun.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like it may be a twin trunk ? There are a few threads I have read here in the past about White pines so maybe one who has experience on these will chime in. LOL I have a perfect record with pines 3-0 that 3 dead and 0 alive so you do not want my advice on anything pine related ! :)

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know much about ground growing these, but it does look as if it could be cut back. Move some of that strong growth lower on the tree. If the trunk is close to where you want it, then maybe time to move to a large pot so you can work it. If you plan on leaving it in the ground, you may want to dig it, and replant it this spring, so the roots can begin to be tightened up to the tree base. Can't really see the structure well enough to give you styling help, but if you can get some lower strength, you'll have lots of options.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Needles are short about 3/4" without any type of reduction on my part. Very open growing habit. Indeed a multi-trunked tree. Long branches with no foliage near the trunk. Yes I may try to reduce the top as the bottom foliage does have smaller inter nodes, making the foliage closer to the trunk

IMG_20141004_113414.jpg

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like Adcox's dwarf

Yes Vance
I thought it looked alot like ‘Adcock's Dwarf’. Others tell me it could be 'Brevifolia'. Not really sure this one is grafted. So it could be neither, just a runt. Not an obvious graft anyway.Have been meaning to examine closer. Pinus Parviflora just has too many forms.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
if you can't chase the growth back think about grafting. I bet you could cut some pieces from the ends of branches you'll eliminate and graft them lower where you want branches. I am very new to pines so I'm not sure it that's really optimistic to plan, but it is something you could research.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
if you can't chase the growth back think about grafting. I bet you could cut some pieces from the ends of branches you'll eliminate and graft them lower where you want branches. I am very new to pines so I'm not sure it that's really optimistic to plan, but it is something you could research.

KM
Actually a great idea. I do know a little about grafting. Haven't worked any pines. This is prime grafting season. Pines graft well. Although I wouldn't be able to add heat and humidity most use in greenhouse conditions as this tree is outside. Even if it didn't take ,'Nothing lost nothing gained'. Again great idea,don't know why I didn't think of that

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes Vance
I thought it looked alot like ‘Adcock's Dwarf’. Others tell me it could be 'Brevifolia'. Not really sure this one is grafted. So it could be neither, just a runt. Not an obvious graft anyway.Have been meaning to examine closer. Pinus Parviflora just has too many forms.

It could be Zuisho which would be great and if it is, that would account for the fact you cannot find a grafting point. This cultivar can be grown from cuttings.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It could be Zuisho which would be great and if it is, that would account for the fact you cannot find a grafting point. This cultivar can be grown from cuttings.

Not familiar with that cultivar. A fast google search and iI can't rule it out. Will dip a scion/cutting in a little rooting hormone and see what happens.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not familiar with that cultivar. A fast google search and iI can't rule it out. Will dip a scion/cutting in a little rooting hormone and see what happens.

It's a little more difficult that just doing that. You will have to get hold of one of the copies of International Bonsai where there are several articles on the tree. One of the articles covers growing them from cuttings. It's a strange tree, I don't have one but I have read a bunch of stuff on the tree.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From the photo of the buds he posted, it's certainly not Zuicho. Zuicho has pointed buds. The ones in the photo are rounded.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Did not realize that control zoom option. I thought the third click was it.Another bud pic for those, who like me, like to identify different cultivars.

IMG_20141004_113433.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep, definately rounded buds. Not Zuicho. Could be Kokonoe.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is a Zuisho for comparison, or contrast. Yours definitely looks like a dwarf cultivar, and Kokonoe is a pretty fair guess. Hagarmo is another possibility.
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/pinus.htm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom