Kashirahoma no tatsumaki - Ponderosa Pine

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm hunting for a before photo.... but wanted you to see the tree Kathy decided was her project when she was with us...

She named it Kashirahoma no tatsumaki (Oklahoma Tornado) - a total play on making the name Oklahoma into a Japanese word 'Kashi' for Ok... 'ra' since they don't say 'l's and 'homa'... tatsumaki meaning tornado. Meant to be as amusing and playful as this tree is striking.

It's in a Dale Cochoy bunjin pot.... She loved the pot and put it in there in order to really create that feeling of the tornado ripping up the earth... and the foliage having the sense of being the preceding thundercloud. It's really one of those moments when the photo fails... I'm going to try and get a better one this weekend.

Kindly,

Victrinia

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Nice looking trunk. Those wounds look fairly new, was that done recently?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not wounded... Just cleaned off the bark to expose all the deadwood and find all the edges of the live parts of the tree... I still have to enhance the grain on the newly uncovered parts and then even it out with inked lime sulfur.... I can't stand bone white... so I mix ink into it to take the creepy white edge off the coloration.

Whats marvelous is that it has a twisting pattern of dead wood which just enhances that feeling of motion.

Tagged and bagged all the removed bark in case a flake gets lost off of it and needs some reapplied. lol

V

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good! Thats's a nice one. :)

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Killer Ponderosa!

I can't imagine how much one would learn in FOUR days with Kathy Shaner. Did you say she was at a workshop or just stopping by your place to do private lessons?

btw, good to see you back in the fold.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice indeed! Also looks like Kathy is "armed and ready" to do a furious style in the first picture - she looks intense *chuckles*

Grimmy

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks fantastic.

Any tips of collecting ponderosas? I've identified several candidates near my house and with owner approval will be dug up soon. The deer have successfully pruned many of these trees.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love this tree. I have said it before and I'll say it again. Although I will admit I love all the "cookie cutter" pines. I equally love a great yamadori or yamadori like tree.

Rob

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Kashirahoma no tatsumaki

no tatsumaki means tornado
how did she come up with a Japanese word for Oklahoma? Just curious

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wonderful tree. Honestly... its the first pondy that I can say that I truly like the feel of. So compact, so strong.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Killer Ponderosa!

I can't imagine how much one would learn in FOUR days with Kathy Shaner. Did you say she was at a workshop or just stopping by your place to do private lessons?

btw, good to see you back in the fold.

Kathy stayed with us for four days, we were hosting her for the club workshop and demo night, then she stayed longer to work with us. The amount one can learn from Kathy in four days is considerable... lol Mostly we talked aesthetics... because that's what Eric and I wanted to develop. The way to approach the work from a spirit of telling the tree's story more than our own. The marriage of tree and pot... kusamono... and tons of story telling of her life and her training. It was an extraordinary experience, and I was more than a little sad to let my dear friend go home. But she's going to come back... she knows she has a home up here whenever she wants. :)

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice indeed! Also looks like Kathy is "armed and ready" to do a furious style in the first picture - she looks intense *chuckles*

Grimmy

She was armed and dangerous.... lol That woman knows her way around trees to heights I hope to attain. She was so inspiring. Getting on her schedule is hard.... but so worth it.

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks fantastic.

Any tips of collecting ponderosas? I've identified several candidates near my house and with owner approval will be dug up soon. The deer have successfully pruned many of these trees.

The trick to collecting ponderosa is the environment they are in... easy collects are the best collects. In other words... trees which have been naturally containerized by their position on granite faces or wedged between rocks often are your most successful survivors.

Kindly,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Kashirahoma no tatsumaki

no tatsumaki means tornado
how did she come up with a Japanese word for Oklahoma? Just curious

No attempt was made at legitimacy... mostly it was a pigeon play on the word.
'Kashi' for Ok... 'ra' since they don't say 'la' and 'homa'... She tried to think of what they might do with the word. :cool:

V

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you ever scare up a before photo, I'd love to see where this one started...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
On display at the Pacific Bonsai Museum

Tatsumaki.jpg

On display with 12 other sweethearts of ours until August 10th. :)

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tutsumaki_hornbeam.jpg

Judy..... I'll post a separate thread later this evening.... but this is the table the Ponderosa is on, with the tree that was paired with it. :) A Japanese hornbeam.

V

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is just breathtaking! Thanks so much for sharing!

If I can develop my own Ponderosa into something even 1/100 as nice, I will be happy, lol.

Laura

Tatsumaki.jpg

On display with 12 other sweethearts of ours until August 10th. :)

V

Top Bottom