Keeping track

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Until relatively recently I did not take the time to keep good records of my trees or take pictures of them. I regret that now and am trying to do a better job of it. But I have run into a problem. How do you all identify your trees?

For example, I started out with records for oak #1, oak #2, oak #3 and oak #4. But I soon forgot which was which. Same thing for many of my other trees. So I took pictures of them. But that doesn’t really help much because I still have to sort through the pictures to find out which tree is which.

A club member the other day said, “I really like your tall larch.” We started talking about what I consider my tall larch but it turned out he was talking about my medium larch.

So I am wondering, how do you avoid the confusion?

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I missed that thread. Thanks, it was interesting. But it did not really the answer to my problem. I have all the pertinent information I want recorded with no problem. I'm looking for a way to identify my trees with something other than a number - which I will never remember.

Did you read post #27?

I decided on this style, just modified a bit. :) Using your example...

year/month/serial #/(est. age)
140401 (30)
Common name
scientific name

Thanks! :)

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Did you read post #27?

Using the species name and date of collection would be better than just an assigned number. I do have trees of the same species that I collected the same year however. And trees I have had for a long time, I don't remember exactly when I collected them. I was not keeping records then. But species, style, and approximate collection date would solve most of my problems.

Good!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Using the species name and date of collection would be better than just an assigned number. I do have trees of the same species that I collected the same year however. And trees I have had for a long time, I don't remember exactly when I collected them. I was not keeping records then. But species, style, and approximate collection date would solve most of my problems.

Good!

Just sharing ideas...adapt the system to what suits you best. :)

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I have the same problem...I keep records but have trees that look so similar that I confuse them...So I put a number on the pot or under...and dont confuse them anymore.
I upload all my pictures to FB in albums..., and on the cover picture in the comment section I add progression photos, with a description of what I did. I have a back up this way and things are easy to find.
I have figs album...pines and junipers...deciduous...yamadori...

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have used a very analog system. Thin Copper or aluminum tags that I write on and the impression is more or less permanent. Those get loosely wired onto the trunk. Agreed, that wire can obviously come off, but you can look at what is is written every time you water and see what/where/when it was acquired. You can employ whatever system you choose to keep track of them, but at least it is an accepted method for physically attaching an ID tag to the tree.

Top Bottom