Kintsugi for beginners

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How well does the gold leaf hold up if it's inside the pot under the substrate?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did this to a pot that I broke that I really liked. I did not do as fine a job as the OP, but the result is a useable pot again. I used a powdered gold and just added it to the two part epoxy that was the glue component. That way it was really only one step, although since the pot was large with many breaks, I had to do it over a period of two weeks to allow each new piece to harden as I rebuilt it. I may try to go back and clean up the excess of the glue someday, but I'm pretty happy with the overall idea of having a unusable pot back.
View attachment 277980View attachment 277981View attachment 277982View attachment 277983

What did you use for the powder? Something like this?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
How well does the gold leaf hold up if it's inside the pot under the substrate?
Gold is inert and doesn’t corrode. It may scratch from the substrate but who cares ..... the JB is doing the work. This is a sign I carved that hung outside my studio for 25+ years. The gold is as good as when it was put on. The rest of the sign.....not so good.7E617426-1985-46A3-8BEB-C63AA20FA7E2.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Gold is inert and doesn’t corrode. It may scratch from the substrate but who cares ..... the JB is doing the work. This is a sign I carved that hung outside my studio for 25+ years. The gold is as good as when it was put on. The rest of the sign.....not so good.View attachment 340525
Yes exactly, just try to find one that doesn’t have glitter or sparkles in it as some crafting stuff does.

Thank you both!

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks again for this resource!

This is probably obvious to others, but the finish of the epoxy is very important in the end result. If there are any places that didn't get filled perfectly, or sanded flat with the surface of the pot it will show quite a bit once the gold is applied.

Here's my attempt on a @sorce pot, because he decided to experiment with his packaging on my shipment (good thing he's so generous, and it was the freebie! ;) ).

Epoxied, starting to sand:
PXL_20201214_145926220.jpg

Sanded (with those flap wheels):
PXL_20201214_190754522.jpg

Gold leaf applied:
PXL_20201214_201611802.jpg

PXL_20201214_201505548.jpg

Bonus, ornament that broke when our Christmas tree fell over:

PXL_20201208_153034995.jpg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@RJG2 good effort!! There are sizes (glues) available that will work much better and easier than spar varnish. They can smooth out your sanding a bit. You still need to be able to paint evenly. Go here, there’s a lot of fun products just for gilding. https://www.goldenleafproducts.com/...MI74jKhazO7QIVzcDACh0VqQeSEAAYASAAEgKiLfD_BwE
Thanks! It was a surprisingly enjoyable/rewarding project. I have a friend that owns a sign shop, maybe I'll offer my new skill ;)

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That looks dope! I owe you 2 for this!

Sorce
No you don't! Well, as long as the ones I actually bought aren't broken, I still haven't opened them yet - my wife stole the box and wrapped it for Christmas.

That's what I get for buying myself presents; can't wait!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had some pots repaired and put aside for a couple months and finally found some time to try this. I managed to loose a piece of this nice little 5" dia brown bowl and had to place that. I viewed this as a practice piece and really, expected to toss it and just hoped to learn enough to go on from there...
pot for kintsugi 1.JPG
The last thing I wanted to happen was to fill-in the seams and be working the gold and have it collapse on me, or break in use somewhere down the line, so I decided to laminated the interior with epoxy & fiberglass. That would make it bulletproof. It can be broken, but it won't actually come apart. It's ready here...
Pot K Brown bowl make ready.JPG
A couple layers of lightweight cloth works fine...
Pot K Brown bowl laminated & applied.JPG
And here, filled and 23k gold applied. It certainly was a learning process, but I stumbled through it and it looked pretty nice...
Pot K Brown bowl done.JPG
Cleaning up epoxy drools, finger prints, and otherwise sloppy fills was ugly and takes more time than just working more precisely. Much better to carefully apply the epoxy as a bead along the top of the seam as here on pot #2. I only have shots of the plan view as repaired (All this was done over a few weeks, so some steps were not photographed)
Pot K green oval epoxied.JPG
And here laminated...
Pot K green oval laminated.JPG
Pot K green oval finished end.JPGPot K green oval finished qtr.JPGPot K green oval rear.JPG
I was really pleased with myself and a caught a lucky break. I bumped a little pot I really like and knocked it off the table onto the cement floor...
Pot K brwon Chinese incense lucky break.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now I could execute a plan for the whole process. I carefully Krazy glued the pieces back together making sure the excess glue drooled or dripped to the interior or to the bottom of the exterior so I had less clean-up on the class A surface. The gold applied more cleanly and only got into the surface irregularities/pores which I scraped/scratched it off with an Xacto knife. That's a slow process and you need magnifying glasses to see that close and ruin the finished seam. It looks great...
Pot K Brown incense front.JPGPot K brown incense L qtr.JPG
Pot K Brown Incense R qtr.JPG
As a matter of fact, it went so well I asked myself, "What's next? What pots would I really like to apply this art to?" How about a couple 1 inch accents?..
Pot K two brown accents finished.JPG
Hah! Nothing to it and they looked a skilled artist has been at work! So, let's go for broke with another of my favorite pot that is on break this winter...
Pot K poem corner.JPG
It has inconvenient chips on the upper edges, been there for years...
Pot K 2020_1224 poem (5).jpg So what now? I have a 14 inch Dale Cochoy Pot I bought from him about 2006 that is also resting this winter, so...
Pot K Cochoy front.JPG
Pot K Cochoy corner.JPG
Break a Dale Cochoy pot to fix it with kintsugi? Nah, clean the surface with MEK solvent and apply the bead of epoxy, and apply the gold and ipso presto First Class is upgraded. Thank You @ABCarve for a lesson well learned of a brand new ancient art!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Naturally, I just had to show my wife how superior I was. She immediately fell in love with number one and appropriated it as a gift for my son's wife with a nice big red Amaryllis that I will replace with something currently in season when it is done looking good.
Pot K 2020_1224 brown bowl (2).jpg
Good idea, but that pot's no longer in my bonsai inventory. She also fell in love with #2 green oval and it will be a Cyclamen houseplant now.
Pot K green oval appropriated.JPG
0 for 2.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Now I could execute a plan for the whole process. I carefully Krazy glued the pieces back together making sure the excess glue drooled or dripped to the interior or to the bottom of the exterior so I had less clean-up on the class A surface. The gold applied more cleanly and only got into the surface irregularities/pores which I scraped/scratched it off with an Xacto knife. That's a slow process and you need magnifying glasses to see that close and ruin the finished seam. It looks great...
View attachment 345992View attachment 345993
View attachment 345994
As a matter of fact, it went so well I asked myself, "What's next? What pots would I really like to apply this art to?" How about a couple 1 inch accents?..
View attachment 345995
Hah! Nothing to it and they looked a skilled artist has been at work! So, let's go for broke with another of my favorite pot that is on break this winter...
View attachment 345996
It has inconvenient chips on the upper edges, been there for years...
View attachment 345997 So what now? I have a 14 inch Dale Cochoy Pot I bought from him about 2006 that is also resting this winter, so...
View attachment 346000
View attachment 346001
Break a Dale Cochoy pot to fix it with kintsugi? Nah, clean the surface with MEK solvent and apply the bead of epoxy, and apply the gold and ipso presto First Class is upgraded. Thank You @ABCarve for a lesson well learned of a brand new ancient art!
Yahoo! Glad to see you enjoying yourself. I’m sure your wife is enjoying it too! I guess this covid isolation thing can have a good side. I don’t know where my head would be if I didn’t have pots to make. Keep up the good work!!!

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
20210110_113158.jpg20210110_113303.jpg20210110_181330.jpgSo the squirrels knocked this accent pot off of an upper shelf and it hit a rock and broke, so I thought I'd try something more than just epoxying it together. That pot was pretty hard to drill, I've done holes in pottery to repurpose it and with no problem, but that put the bit to the test.
The wire is twisted tight and I think it actually is functional in helping hold it together.
I'm just glad that I can replant the dwarf hosta back in. Gives me a chance tho split it up.

Top Bottom