Knock knock. Who’s there? Cicada.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Should I net all my trees? How do the eggs get back down to the ground after they hatch?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gorgeous animals!

I would suspect Sir Newton would have something to do with that
I think that guy has been dead a while, not sure he has any agency in the matter.

but at least they don’t burrow under the bark or anything, right?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do they eat the branches or just the roots when they get down there?

rorror

Yamadori
Reaction score
From wikipedia:

Both males and females can mate multiple times, although most females seem to mate only once. After mating, the female cuts V-shaped slits in the bark of young twigs and lays about 20 eggs in each, for a total clutch of 600 or more. After about 6–10 weeks, the eggs hatch and the nymphs drop to the ground, where they burrow and begin another 13- or 17-year cycle.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodical_cicadas

Damage on brances:
3.jpg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just read this crazy NPR story about this fungus that infects Cicadas. Their genitals fall off and they get really horny while high off of the amphetamine it produces. Alternatively, they go on a psilocybin trip. Mother Nature is weird!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just read this crazy NPR story about this fungus that infects Cicadas. Their genitals fall off and they get really horny while high off of the amphetamine it produces. Alternatively, they go on a psilocybin trip. Mother Nature is weird!

I wonder how many millions were funneled into that important study....

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would net any trees that are important to you. We don’t have them yet, I imagine very soon here. I have netting that I will deploy as soon as they start up.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They started up here this week. Last night was the first song of the cicada that was noticeable. It is going to rain tomorrow with showers tonight. That means many many more will emerge. In moderation I think the whole thing is really cool. It will be a harvest fest for birds and small mammals. Cicadas really help aerate the soil and the little damage they do to branch tips is well within reason for all of the good they do. They have been venerated in China for thousands of years. I love any kind of insect that doesn't view me as dinner.
Nature is awesome.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ewww, yuck. Will plan never to visit north america when these are around.
The live Cicada also make a horrendously loud noice. Very distinctive. And they wail that noice for several seconds. They are quite fast flying around. They are further north than the map shows though.

1AB93E57-BE74-4A1B-BF6A-EDE2809D5ED2.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cicadas....this is interesting. How many? If you see one.....there’s probably many, many more you don't see.

“In maybe a third of a square foot of dirt, the University of Maryland entomologists find at least seven cicadas -- a rate just shy of a million per acre. A nearby yard yielded a rate closer to 1.5 million.

And there's much more afoot. Trillions of the red-eyed black bugs are coming, scientists say.

Within days, a couple weeks at most, the cicadas of Brood X (the X is the Roman numeral for 10) will emerge after 17 years underground. There are many broods of periodic cicadas that appear on rigid schedules in different years, but this is one of the largest and most noticeable. They’ll be in 15 states from Indiana to Georgia to New York; they’re coming out now in mass numbers in Tennessee and North Carolina.”

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cicadas....this is interesting. How many? If you see one.....there’s probably many, many more you don't see.

“In maybe a third of a square foot of dirt, the University of Maryland entomologists find at least seven cicadas -- a rate just shy of a million per acre. A nearby yard yielded a rate closer to 1.5 million.

And there's much more afoot. Trillions of the red-eyed black bugs are coming, scientists say.

Within days, a couple weeks at most, the cicadas of Brood X (the X is the Roman numeral for 10) will emerge after 17 years underground. There are many broods of periodic cicadas that appear on rigid schedules in different years, but this is one of the largest and most noticeable. They’ll be in 15 states from Indiana to Georgia to New York; they’re coming out now in mass numbers in Tennessee and North Carolina.”
I’m not to far from university of Maryland in the middle of brood X in a neighborhood that was developed back in the late ‘40s. We are seeing a lot of them. This morning when I woke up you could hear the cicada chorus clearly from inside the house.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WOUld be interesting to see whether the shrubs and trees do better this year than in other years, with such a reduction in root munching capacity. Bumper crops? Or evened out by the damage the egg laying does.

Top Bottom