Lantana camara

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
About 2 years.

This is a collected Lantana camara; here it is about 3 months after collecting.

1393686_178621545805369_140702497573785122_n.jpg

About 2 years later, this photo was taken September 26, 2015.

11951997_178621559138701_3311784019821545828_n.jpg

I decided to restyle the tree that day. Brought it to a semi-cascade design. This tree has suffered from Lantana gall flower mites. I have been under the impression that the gall-like growth was a virus/fungus/bacteria for the last two years. It is easily treatable apparently. Remove the afflicted growth, and treat with Malathion. Took a long time to figure out the growth because no one knew what it was. Essentially what the Gall Flower Mite does is create galls of vegetative growth where the flower bud should be; they eventually die.

11223596_189816421352548_8051748835767184912_n.jpg

After I defoliate and treat with Malathion I'm going to wire this one. Wiring Lantana is dreadful.

I sure thought the tree was larger from the first picture. It's very nice.
Why is it dreadful wiring one? Thorns?

I sure thought the tree was larger from the first picture. It's very nice.
Why is it dreadful wiring one? Thorns?

I'm curious as well. I tend several for my wife as she loves the flowers, they seem to like to clump and cascade but i've been bending the hell out of the lately. They do snap on a dime, so I'm leaning towards that as the answer although with the "material" i'm working i don't miss a beat when one taps out on me.

The branches are very brittle. You have to be very gentle and slow when wiring and bending them, or like it was mentioned, they will snap. Any branch that I wire that needs to be moved quite a bit, I wrap with two wires. The two are not placed side by side or touching, but instead in between the wraps of the other. The technique is frequently used with azaleas. It allows more physical contact points, and lessens the risk of snapping.

Also should point out the pot is not the right size, the tree is not placed where it should and the nebari is mostly hidden now because the pot does not accommodate the tree very well, but it works for now.

The branches are very brittle. You have to be very gentle and slow when wiring and bending them, or like it was mentioned, they will snap. Any branch that I wire that needs to be moved quite a bit, I wrap with two wires. The two are not placed side by side or touching, but instead in between the wraps of the other. The technique is frequently used with azaleas. It allows more physical contact points, and lessens the risk of snapping.

First time I hear of this wiring technique?!

By the way, I LIKE what you've done.

All the photos in the first post are gone here too and there is no edit button...ughh.

Update.
Kawauso Pottery.

I'll post a picture in a few days with flowers. If it still flowers after this repot.

Attachments

• IMAG2963.jpg
    IMAG2963.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom