Lantana Question

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi
I recently dug a huge, beautiful lanatna from a neighbors yard. It was growing over their sewer line since they planted in the 1940's. it has a base of at least 12''. It looks old as heck and has beautiful movement and taper. I guess the nitrogen it got out of the sewer line helped grow real fat and healthy. Other nearby lantana's planted on the same day were still "sticks".
The elderly lady was happy i removed it off her sewer line. I basicly cut all the branches and flat cut the base leaving just a few roots. It's an invasive tropical and I figured it would be fine. I planted the huge stump in a training bow with a well draining mix, i put cut paste on all the cut branches, rooting hormone on the bottom and put a plastic tent over the top to make a mini green house.
It's only been like 10 days and nothing has popped, and I'm not worried yet, but has anyone else dug a lantana stump with no roots or branches and have it pop out ok?
It's a superlative piece of material and I'm just a little paranoid. Any inpute from your experience will help.
thanks
Elliott

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I relocated one more than 10 years ago (much smaller at 2" trunk). I also hardly got any fine roots but it survived. The timing however was optimal being spring and before bud break.

Yours, sound very promising. Good luck with it. :)

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I would say any day now within the next 2 weeks. If not then begin to worry. Those olives that we chainsawed in half together took a solid 2 weeks to do anything

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your on the cusp right now. It may not do anything untill Sept when the late fall push starts.

Don't give up, their weeds, much like pyracantha. Pop out my ole trusty friend, the magnifying glass. Anyone in my back yard after I dig something would think I am some sort of weirdo down on my hands and knees perusing every square inch of the trunk looking for just one damn green thing to pop out.

Soon as I see the first one, seems like over the next few days there are dozens. They will come.

Made any more Abs of Steel DVDs?

Lets see I hope I got this right, thats: Nathan BS, Tona, Elliot, Smoke, Maria Kapra and Treekutter,

Attachments

• DSC_00330033.jpg
    DSC_00330033.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whose yard is that? I want the tree to the right of y'all. Left if your looking at pic. Seriously. Where does someone get yard trees like that????????

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Whose yard is that? I want the tree to the right of y'all. Left if your looking at pic. Seriously. Where does someone get yard trees like that????????

Ray Theime. He does have some nice landscape trees going

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I wrote that post at work yesterday, and when I got home, guess what? lil green buds all over both (I forgot to mention that 1 of the branches I cut off the main stump at the property where it was growing, looked like it would make an awesome shohin cause it has taper, movement and a twist, so I planted that up also) and this morning, there was more.
I don't know how to post a pic, but I sent a pic to Nathan's phone. maybe he can post that?
Smoke, In the pic, its Steve (Tona), Nathan, Im the skinny guy with abs of steel, You, Peter makashieb and I don't recognise the other guy, even though I probably met him.
Nathan and I are planning on making a trip up to your neck of the woods to look for trees good enough to put in the GSBF convention display this October. Do you have any material that might pass or rigid standard??? LOL!
eli

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys. I wrote that post at work yesterday, and when I got home, guess what? lil green buds all over both (I forgot to mention that 1 of the branches I cut off the main stump at the property where it was growing, looked like it would make an awesome shohin cause it has taper, movement and a twist, so I planted that up also) and this morning, there was more.
I don't know how to post a pic, but I sent a pic to Nathan's phone. maybe he can post that?
Smoke, In the pic, its Steve (Tona), Nathan, Im the skinny guy with abs of steel, You, Peter makashieb and I don't recognise the other guy, even though I probably met him.
Nathan and I are planning on making a trip up to your neck of the woods to look for trees good enough to put in the GSBF convention display this October. Do you have any material that might pass or rigid standard??? LOL!
eli

Too hard a summer for me this year. That bout of 21 days straight at 107 degrees did a number on most of my stuff for late fall showing.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too hard a summer for me this year. That bout of 21 days straight at 107 degrees did a number on most of my stuff for late fall showing.

Not too late to defoliate some species, such as Trident Maple. By the first week of September, you've got a whole set of fresh foliage. And there is plenty of time left for hardening.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope, fighting a huge war up here right now. It's me against the hood...the squirrel hood.

I have had the worst year since I moved to this house in 1997. For years I have grown my trees in peace. Squirrels have never bothered them. About two years ago they began snooping around my trees and stashing food in the moss. Didn't do much damage. This year I have had a real mess.

I have had them strip bark from maples so bad they may die. I have had them chew the entire nebari off my best trident, roots as large as a pencil or larger.

They chewed the largest root of the right side of tripper and caused the whole top of the tree to die.

I think I have it under control, but man they did some damage to some really great trees ready now and some just a year or two away.

Attachments

• DSC_00030003.JPG
    DSC_00030003.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_00040004.jpg
    DSC_00040004.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_000200021.jpg
    DSC_000200021.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_00050005.JPG
    DSC_00050005.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 47

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my large trident, the one I have placed twice with in the kazari and won $2000.00 dollars with.

They completely uprooted large wads of rootage, and then chewed off roots flush with the trunk. The last photo is of the tree underging a first aid of the laower trunk area in hopes that it wasn't dry for so long that any root budding in the area wouldn't take hold. I will leave the collor full of akadama there for the rest of the season and then do a repot in spring and cover it with live 22 bullets for them to bite into.

Look at all the brown spots on the leaves. Thats from small root packets dying off. The one picture of the base of the tree with all the small scaring on the base, thats teeth damage from a couple years worth.

Attachments

• DSC_0003 (2)0003.JPG
    DSC_0003 (2)0003.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_00010006.jpg
    DSC_00010006.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_00020002.jpg
    DSC_00020002.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_00010001.jpg
    DSC_00010001.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Poor tripper was looking really nice. The foliage was very healthy and was growing very well and dense. It was shaping up to be a real winner. I came home after work and found that they had chewed off a large root on the right side of the tree. I waited for the worst and low and behold in about 10 days the whole top of the tree started turning pale.

The rest is doing fine and I have the tree well hidden now and there has been no more problems since. I will be able to restyle the tree later on....FOR THE THIRD TIME! It just has set me back a few years AGAIN!

Thats a California Juniper root. I had tons of them torn from the pot and laying all around the tree on the bench.

Que Sera Sera....

Attachments

• DSC_00060006.JPG
    DSC_00060006.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_00070007.JPG
    DSC_00070007.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_00080008.JPG
    DSC_00080008.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 40

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aaargh!!! :eek:

Sorry about that Smoke. I will probably try to decimate the squirrel population around my neighborhood if they did that to my better trees. :mad:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Poor tripper was looking really nice. The foliage was very healthy and was growing very well and dense. It was shaping up to be a real winner. I came home after work and found that they had chewed off a large root on the right side of the tree. I waited for the worst and low and behold in about 10 days the whole top of the tree started turning pale.

The rest is doing fine and I have the tree well hidden now and there has been no more problems since. I will be able to restyle the tree later on....FOR THE THIRD TIME! It just has set me back a few years AGAIN!

Thats a California Juniper root. I had tons of them torn from the pot and laying all around the tree on the bench.

Que Sera Sera....

That sucks! Order a bag of Green Dream from Colin Lewis http://www.colinlewisbonsai.com/products.html

Even if you don't use it as fertilizer it keeps the squirrels far away, it's the only thing that works for sure with NYC squirrels. I keep a small bowl of it in the middle of each of my benches and the squirrels take a detour far around my yard now. Cats unfortunately love the smell though and will even eat the stuff.

Before I figured it out I would use baited rat traps with peanut butter. They just set them off and ate the peanut butter.

Motion activated sprinkler, they just double teamed it.

Throwing my two cats out, "the cats just ran back inside."

Squirt Guns

Poison

If pellet guns were illegal here i would have employed them as well.

Last edited:

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
Smoke. I posted this on another thread where somebody was having critter problems. There is a rare breed of terrier that's common in england. It is an A1 hunting terrier. mine used to run and jump and snatch squirrels as they tried to run up the trunk of a big tree or wall. shakes them like a puppy playing with a sock. 20lbs ave size. looks like a lil pit bull. gets along with people and pets it's raised with. Called a Patterdale terrier. google it. there are no show dogs here, just hunting maniacs. no more cats, rats, squirrels, coons, possums, woodchucks, etc!
usualy about $300 for a well bred pup. try terriercentral.com

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to see all that terrible squirrel damage. I have a neighbor who traps them (and chipmunks) and disposes of them, so we don't have many problems from those critters. I think he uses standard havahart type traps (live traps) baited with peanut butter. Then I think he drowns them but I don't ask about that part.

We do have problems with voles and mice and they can do similar kinds of damage.

Chris

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are easy to catch in live traps they are super curious. My little shih tzu Does a pretty good job of keeping them at bay except when he is inside.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a couple of patter dales hunting hogs. Thank you google images. Probably could handle the squirrels.
image.jpg

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow,
Never seen so much squirrel damage. I have two squirrels on the large oak towering above my bonsai garden, but they don't bother my trees. And they keep away other squirrels from coming to my yard, so I actually hope that they stay longer. I had others in the past that defoliated a few trees and chew off a few small twigs, but not these two.
Now if I we can get through the acorn season, when they come down and start burying the acorns into the ground....sometimes they try to do it in the bonsai pot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom