Larch spur extension to a branch?

ochong

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So i understand that tamarack (larix laricina) doesn't backbud and I think i have a pretty good grasp on general new growth management and budding, but what I'm interesting in are the "spurs" as i've seen them called and their ability to extend to create new branching.

Given that the end of this branch has been cut off, will some of these spurs start to extend out more vigorously? If not, is there any recommended actions if I want to encourage new branching so that I can develop ramification on this branch? Further reduction of the branch perhaps?

IMG_1804.jpeg

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, the spurs are just bud locations where the tree produced a tuft of needles year after year (each tiny line is one year of growth) but didn't have the energy to start a new branch there. Often, larches growing in poor environments (bogs, for ex) will have there spurs all over, some with 20 lines or so. Where is this tree from?

After you let the tree recover from the cutback, it should start to produce branches from the spurs as you suspect. Nothing special needed, just keep the tree in favourable conditions (lots of sun and water) and wait. In New England, this larch's season is probably done. Pruning is normally done in the spring or midsummer.

ochong

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks @Cosmos! I suspected it was a matter of available energy. Good to read that I was heading down the right line of thought.

This tree was collected by John Rough of Black Dodge Bonsai (the team of Kris Springer and John). My understanding from speaking with them is that they do most of their collecting in Maine. It's one of three I purchased from John this past weekend. I believe John mentioned it being roughly 2-3 years post collection. Different ages, challenges, and potentials with each - I'm excited to work with them all.

Subject tree:
IMG_1805.jpeg

The other two:
IMG_1808.jpegIMG_1809.jpeg

Top Bottom