Large Cornus kousa-how to approach

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Ha! Somewhat surprised actually. Seems like it’s an older practice that has been discarded due to research showing negative effects. But like I said, if there is other reason to seal, I’m all ears.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Is the only reason you suggest so is to help healing process? Or is there another reason?

If it’s for healing process I will pass. It’s generally recommended against by arborists as it has little to no effect. It also potentially seals in fungal and bacterial problems. It’s a practice that’s on its way out in all but a few situations. This is supported by the ISA.
Prevents die back. Die back will reduce the number of of shoots that pop and ultimately limit the future styling options for the tree..... and you shouldn't be comparing what arborists recommend for landscape trees and what is recommended for trees in pots. Take it from someone who, over the last 25 years, has trimmed plenty of branches from both landscape trees - never sealed them- and bonsai ( deciduous get sealed every time if the branch is 1/4" or bigger), you'll regret it if you don't.... and I'm not going to get into a debate about it... been there and done that. Good luck.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Ok so I might have a logistics issue with this tree. I may be taking a new job that starts in February that is over an hour away. Would it be too risky to do the chop and root prune in February? I definitely see the soil being frozen as an issue though. How about doing it now? The tree has defoliated for winter so it’s in early stages of dormancy.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ok so I might have a logistics issue with this tree. I may be taking a new job that starts in February that is over an hour away. Would it be too risky to do the chop and root prune in February? I definitely see the soil being frozen as an issue though. How about doing it now? The tree has defoliated for winter so it’s in early stages of dormancy.

I am near Chicago, zone 5b winter - it can get pretty nasty. I don't know Long Island winters. If it were me, I would just keep it healed in the ground. If you have to move, dig, and heal in over at new place. Save heavy duty root work for after the ground thaws in spring.

You might be able to get away with serious root work and pruning now, but that is ''risky''. If you wait chances of success go up over 90%. Do it now and I don't know, maybe 60%? Hard pruning even of shrubs in the ground can cause the shrub to lose some of its winter hardiness when done in late autumn or early winter.

There are not a lot of Cornus as bonsai, some, but not widespread or common. I don't know why, whether it is a horticultural issue with Cornus being touchy about horticulture in a container? Or the fact that the medium large leaves and branch pattern don't lend themselves easily to bonsai. The photos of dogwood bonsai I have seen have been lovely.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yeah that’s very sensible. I very much want this tree to be a success. The nebari is awesome, cornus kousa is a favorite and it’s a unique bonsai variety. I’ll make it work in the trees best interest.

Top Bottom