Large Green Island Ficus

gionk

Sapling
Reaction score
Thought i would post some pictures of my biggest ficus. :D Picked this tree up at Miami bonsai 5-6 years ago. Shipped it home on a plane(very stressful..) and have enjoyed it ever since.
This tree was rapid grown overseas as a ficus microcarpa, and green island ficus was grafted on everywhere after the "chop". occasionally the tree sprouts out microcarpa leaves(which can get quite large). i do let them go at times, and have often approach grafted them across old wounds.
this is one of my favorite trees! Currently it looks like this:
photo.jpg
i have hacked, chopped, defoliated, severely bent branches, grafted. you name it. this tree is happy, and has never skipped a beat! here are my long term plans:
IMG_1982.jpg
been working on the branch ramification of the upper portion of the tree for quite some time. here is a pic from the last upper defoliation:
IMG_1971.jpg
the lower parts of the tree are in need of some serious growth. i have taken steps to speed this up.. here is a pic of the tree when i bought it in florida. very tall and shagy!!:
photo.jpg

im pretty sure the tree came from a farm like this overseas.. the pic was borrowed from another website:
Ficus_Microcarpa_Bonsai.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice! I think your plan is good and achievable. Ficus are grew to work with, and you have a nice piece here.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a big one! Grafting the different foliage on the trunk is a cool idea.

Top Bottom