Large Korean Hornbeam restoration

Great, hope yours are happy and healthy!

You’re right - KH seems a perfect contradiction between delicate and rugged.

I don’t think I will ever opt for full defoliation on these (if any) of my trees. Leaf cutting seems a much more balanced approach to me.

Indeed, scars heal very slowly, not sure if I’m going to have to go the route of artificially carved hollows on some of the big scars I have or just let them rot out naturally. Last option means I have to look at unnatural chop marks for a very long time though..

Any thoughts?
The good thing is the scar areas seldom rot the inner wood is quite durable. I would look at carving in the areas you will see from the front.

@MrFancyPlants
Yes I could remove either one of the apices, but that would leave me with a traditional trunkline. I quite like this feature personally. You see it in nature all the time.

It’s been fed moderately with organic fert since it’s in my ownership.

There is a big wound in between those two tops which is already getting softer due to natural decay. Perhaps a starting place for a carved hollow.

I think @Walter Pall would have no trouble making something magnificent from this material. I have not walked this earth long enough to have anywhere near his experience so I’d love to hear his thoughts if he stumbles across this.

Back
Top Bottom