Large rescued "urbandori" Juniper - which path to take?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to find and get permission to retrieve this huge juniper from a historic old iron foundry site in the midlands (UK). Over the past two seasons i've been letting it recover and slowly chasing foliage back to the trunk; it grows like an absolute champ.

In terms of long-term vision for the tree, I'd love a bit of advice - especially on how to best deal with the straight upper trunk section. There are two living branches on the lower portion of the trunk, the long straight section with no foliage and then three thin branches on the end. I'm thinking a couple of approach grafts using the higher up foliage. I think changing completely to shimpaku/similar would involve a 30 year wait before its presentable and not worth it for a trunk that'll never be show quality?

Eventually I plan on extensive deadwood but won't start until i have a clear inspiration on how to proceed. Would anyone be so kind as to do a quick vert showing the direction they think to go in?

IMG_7739.jpegI IMG_7742.jpegIMG_5370.JPEGIMG_5357.JPEG

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1 Grafting using the native foliage from the tree as you suggested 2 add movement ie bend the straight trunk . There is massive vids and techniques . Demos info especially from Japan on bending large juniper branches trunks . Including split the trunk . Deeply carve the trunk then bend it . Do you have a style in mind . Ie have you considered full or semi cascade . The straight section less of a concern or better said more acceptable as the main part of the cascade . At end of day your tree you have to make the choice . I feel there are 2 basic paths 1 subtle graft this is graft foliage grow the top and bend them goal is hide the straight trunk . Or 2 drastic carve split bend essentially get rid of it Using the tree as one tree . The section has girth that takes long to grow . So approach graft foliage well bellow the section . When that is healthy . Air layer the top off the tree at the straight section and make 2 trees

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you @Frozentreehugger I've ruled out cascade/semi-cascade as I can't see it ever working convincingly.

I think grafting from the top then carving the top section as deadwood is the way to go, and you're right there might even be a decent trunk left to airlayer!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is fun how to screw up someone else’s tree . And not have to live with it . 😂😂😂😂🥵🥵🥵 . I can’t see myself not splitting that upper section . Windswept. Both sections relatively parallel to each other . No grafting low to show off the trunk and carving . 2 split grafted informal upright . Split movement added then shorter lower split alive. taller section deadwood . Add dramatic movement before . Creating the deadwood . Had. To have a dramatic harsh life feel No matter what ugly root has to be dealt with .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is fun how to screw up someone else’s tree . And not have to live with it . 😂😂😂😂🥵🥵🥵 . I can’t see myself not splitting that upper section . Windswept. Both sections relatively parallel to each other . No grafting low to show off the trunk and carving . 2 split grafted informal upright . Split movement added then shorter lower split alive. taller section deadwood . Add dramatic movement before . Creating the deadwood . Had. To have a dramatic harsh life feel No matter what ugly root has to be dealt with .
Absolutely love this idea! Would you fancy drawing a quick sketch of what you envision??

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can draw stick men barely . The purpose of splitting the trunk is to allow you to bend them separately . Here’s is some ideas

Attachments

• 19E9CE25-3B0B-4709-AC49-8CFE8A1C666B.png
    19E9CE25-3B0B-4709-AC49-8CFE8A1C666B.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 606D5E1D-B216-4E92-83E3-3F7FDE76733D.png
    606D5E1D-B216-4E92-83E3-3F7FDE76733D.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 698938CC-7C6A-4914-A71E-E66EDCE3B256.png
    698938CC-7C6A-4914-A71E-E66EDCE3B256.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 414DD05E-110E-4B9E-8CD6-2F58E26D449E.png
    414DD05E-110E-4B9E-8CD6-2F58E26D449E.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 32

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should consider all options . There is no great hurry . You have done very well to collect such a tree and establish it , I would continue with its recovery . Start to get some branches in order . Reduce the root mass . Make heavily fertilized . Get it super healthy before drastic styling . If you go the split trunk path . It is a more advanced technique . Unsure your experience level but it’s a straight forward job . Lots of available tutorials. Fortune favours the brave . Good luck looking forward to the trees advance .

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you just collected this, you're getting waay ahead of yourself. The next two years should concentrate on keeping the tree alive, then getting it healthy. The branches and other parts of the tree you're planning on using may, or may not, be present down the road depending on the above. If you plan on actually implementing a design now you may not have anything to develop in a year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you just collected this, you're getting waay ahead of yourself. The next two years should concentrate on keeping the tree alive, then getting it healthy. The branches and other parts of the tree you're planning on using may, or may not, be present down the road depending on the above. If you plan on actually implementing a design now you may not have anything to develop in a year.
Absolutely agree, it's been in a grow box for nearly two years after collection and only recently moved it into the large training pot so i've got at least a year left of recovery before getting drastic - even though it is absolutely as strong as an ox!

I'm just trying to firm up a direction to take it in as i couldn't really see a design, looking for input on possible directions and particularly the possible solutions to that long straight section.

Top Bottom