Late night yamadori ninja mission.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just so I can get my head around this thread....

In the 15th century, Robin Hood stole shrubbery from the rich and gave bonsai to the poor?

"It's not that I'm not grateful, you see, Sir Robin. This boxwood makes for a very nice informal upright. But could you perhaps get us a broom style persimmon? It's just that the wife and kids are a bit hungry and I've been spending an awful amount of time sifting haydite."
Hahahaha!
Thanks for that, buddy!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ok, fellas. He said it wasn't a theft.................8 pages ago. He needs no more proof than his word, as far as I'm concerned. I DO think he has just a little evil streak in him to let y'all spout off about ethics, morality and legality. I can't say as I fault him for having a bit of fun. At this point, some here would not accept any "proof" that he had the right to collect this tree............he has already been found guilty.

Beanwagon, you say you came by this tree ethically and that's good enough for me. Pretty nice tree, I might add.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Ok, fellas. He said it wasn't a theft.................8 pages ago. He needs no more proof than his word, as far as I'm concerned. I DO think he has just a little evil streak in him to let y'all spout off about ethics, morality and legality. I can't say as I fault him for having a bit of fun. At this point, some here would not accept any "proof" that he had the right to collect this tree............he has already been found guilty.

Beanwagon, you say you came by this tree ethically and that's good enough for me. Pretty nice tree, I might add.

100% agree. I am just hoping it survives.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hypothetical situation: you ask for permission from a construction site that is leveling a lot. The lot was previously owned by a bonsai master who just passed away. They are going to rip out, cut up and throw away a three hundred year old juniper yamadori that is growing in the ground but has otherwise been trained as bonsai by said master. The juniper is located at the corner of the lot, right next to a parking stall. They cannot give permission because of safety issues.
Is this tree in need of a rescue?

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hypothetical situation: you ask for permission from a construction site that is leveling a lot. The lot was previously owned by a bonsai master who just passed away. They are going to rip out, cut up and throw away a three hundred year old juniper yamadori that is growing in the ground but has otherwise been trained as bonsai by said master. The juniper is located at the corner of the lot, right next to a parking stall. They cannot give permission because of safety issues.
Is this tree in need of a rescue?

I'd rescue the shit out'a it.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, it is, and I would be inclined to take a bit of a risk and save the tree. Illegal? Maybe. Unethical? Maybe. Immoral? Maybe......maybe not. That's between me and my conscience. You may judge me if you like.

Alternative...... Give the backhoe driver $50.00 to dig the tree carefully and place it on the curb for the "garbage truck". Rescue the "trash" from the curb and ....presto! you have a 300 year old tree for 50 bucks and didn't break any laws any didn't tread on any moral or ethical dilemmas. Hey, that gives me the idea to drive the roads looking for construction sites!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn!

That just reminded me of a radio show I heard......

They're talking about 2 years till we are able to travel 200-700 MPH...which is equivalent to some fucking KPH!, ask your Cadillac, inside them vacuum tubes like at the bank.

So, while I'll never step in something that goes that fast inside something that may fail....

I imagine it would work for mail....delivery.
Even if its just intrapostoffice .....

Climate controlled....easy tree delivery!

Wouldn't it be nice if it was mandatory that every dug stump get delivered to a location where they can sort em for our use?

There must be thousands of great trees destroyed everyday.

<----- straps on his face mask and sword.

Sorce

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Damn!

That just reminded me of a radio show I heard......

They're talking about 2 years till we are able to travel 200-700 MPH...which is equivalent to some fucking KPH!, ask your Cadillac, inside them vacuum tubes like at the bank.

So, while I'll never step in something that goes that fast inside something that may fail....

I imagine it would work for mail....delivery.
Even if its just intrapostoffice .....

Climate controlled....easy tree delivery!

Wouldn't it be nice if it was mandatory that every dug stump get delivered to a location where they can sort em for our use?

There must be thousands of great trees destroyed everyday.

<----- straps on his face mask and sword.

Sorce
Your right of course. This "hypothetical" was a real situation with myself minus the "bonsai master etc" everything was the same except the trees were two 50 year old compact mugo pines with twisted, Gnarled trunks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your right of course. This "hypothetical" was a real situation with myself minus the "bonsai master etc" everything was the same except the trees were two 50 year old compact mugo pines with twisted, Gnarled trunks.
Real story--local bonsai "master" has a substantial collection of old trident maples and junipers growing in his yard. Some, including one of the tridents, have spectacular, cultivated bases grown out over 35-40 years. The yard is in an older section of a suburb where WW II era house are town down regularly to make room for Mcmansions. The owner is not well, so the yard and the house are showing a bit of neglect.

However, All of the trees in his yard are "spoken for," with the owner giving them to people he has worked with over the years, or have helped him. They have been told they can collect the trees after the guy dies...That fact isn't well-known outside of the people who have been given the trees. Just saying that what might be assumed to be abandon or neglected trees are really trees waiting for their rightful owners...

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Real story--local bonsai "master" has a substantial collection of old trident maples and junipers growing in his yard. Some, including one of the tridents, have spectacular, cultivated bases grown out over 35-40 years. The yard is in an older section of a suburb where WW II era house are town down regularly to make room for Mcmansions. The owner is not well, so the yard and the house are showing a bit of neglect.

However, All of the trees in his yard are "spoken for," with the owner giving them to people he has worked with over the years, or have helped him. They have been told they can collect the trees after the guy dies...That fact isn't well-known outside of the people who have been given the trees. Just saying that what might be assumed to be abandon or neglected trees are really trees waiting for their rightful owners...
Spoken for trees are not in the "hypothetical" situation I'm talking about.
Mine was a mcdonald's that was being demolished by the county (which I work for) to build a water treatment plant. The mugos went in the dumpster.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All I dug has been broken and leaking water and sewer pipes. I wish I could have the time and knowledge to collect trees. Here in Texas, you can get shot for any reason. Let alone tresspassing. Instead of a tree, you could potentially collect some lead from an angry landowner. Do I need it ? Nah.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spoken for trees are not in the "hypothetical" situation I'm talking about.
Mine was a mcdonald's that was being demolished by the county (which I work for) to build a water treatment plant. The mugos went in the dumpster.
Wasn't really saying anything about your situation. Just saying that sometimes things aren't as they appear to be. In the situation I wrote about, assuming the trees would be torn up with the house for the construction of another house might be logical. However, rushing in and "rescuing" the trees would be exactly the wrong way to collect, at least in that situation. Who would be better to ask about "doomed" landscape planting--the landowner or the construction site foreman/backhoe operator who is just trying to do his job quickly?

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think I understand now...

In Australia they don’t care if you dig up stuff because it’s Crown Land (although you get weird looks) and because they practice “more freedom”?
But you get thrown in concentration camps for breathing air and inadvertently getting Covid?

Cool.

Top Bottom