Late Summer UK Field Collecting

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi guys!

I’ve been field growing some trees for nearly 3 years and most have put on a nice amount of growth. HOWEVER I’m having to relocate all of the trees ideally I’d like to dig whatever trees I can now and leave the rest until spring.

Is there any tips on how to collect as it do I remove old soil, what substrate do I plant in stuff like that and aftercare specifically tailored to the UK climate as it currently is if possible.

In total I reckon there must be about 75 trees this is the species list;

European Hornbeam
English Oak
Pyracantha
Toyo-Nishiki Quince
A juniper of some sort (see photos)
Japanese larch

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ive lifted trees all year around from grow beds. since most were planted on tiles, often a pair of secatuers was all that was needed to just cut the roots that had escaped over the edges. maybe loppers for thicker roots or a spade for stuff planted deeper not on tiles. a standard bonsai mix is fine for trees in development. ive often used just cat litter and potting soil. bit of pumice if i have any.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BobbyLane They are planted on tiles but they are straight in the ground in clay like soil. I suppose you cut the escaped roots and leave the rest as untouched as possible?

I’ve seen another thread where people were discussing leaving the pots submerged in water after collecting is that something you’ve done?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@BobbyLane They are planted on tiles but they are straight in the ground in clay like soil. I suppose you cut the escaped roots and leave the rest as untouched as possible?

I’ve seen another thread where people were discussing leaving the pots submerged in water after collecting is that something you’ve done?
Well it sorta depends on the time lapse between transplanting. if its just a few hours you could wrap them each in a wet towel/newspaper. no ive never had to submerge anything because im just lifting from a grow bed to a pot.

Top Bottom