Learning from a Waste of Time.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I almost forgot about this, but the first time I saw this tree, I thought that this barren juniper could be a very good accent piece, if used as part of a larger group of trees. It doesn't need to play the role of an ancient and magestic tree, but it would fit confortably if just playing the role of itself. Sometimes, a good landscape does need a character piece, like this one, and these are not always easy to find.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What peril befel their hapless owner,did he live to tell the tale?

Do they say his ghost haunts the place just like the Swagman of another continent?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What peril befel their hapless owner,did he live to tell the tale?

Do they say his ghost haunts the place just like the Swagman of another continent?

Don't forget, Will,

Halloween is just around the corner. A few more accessories, and you got a tree that would easily fit the bill. Just use the picture Klytus so eloquently painted for you.:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will,
Every time I want to jump in seems there is a new twist...which is bumfuzzling.

I needed a good long laugh... I read that word and suddenedly the world was amusing again. Bless you Tom.... :eek:

Gratefully,

Victrinia

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
can you guys stop bumping this thread and just let it end up somewhere in the archive. I can't stand watching this poor little thing anymore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whoops, that didn't come out right. My point was that you're the common element present in all the squabbles here (and on other boards), not anyone else.
Could you please point out one of these other boards and the squabbles you speak of?

can you guys stop bumping this thread and just let it end up somewhere in the archive. I can't stand watching this poor little thing anymore

Then don't.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dorothy and Irene posted a couple virts and showed at least passion enough to try and solve the problems with this tree. Thank you.

Thanks also to those who flatly stated that they could see no possibilities with this material, as well as to those who stated that there may be some possibilities.

I offered a simple challenge, which was to forget the all too common statements of trashing it or planting it and see if you could find a feasible solution using the material as is to create a viable, or at least possible bonsai. I fully admitted that this was sub-standard material and that nothing world shaking would come of it, but the point was that searching for a design in such a piece of material could be a learning experience, far more than with a piece that offers multiple alternatives, and certainly far more than a piece in which the design has already been found and outlined.

As I stated in the beginning here, I heavily fed the material, encouraged elongation of the existing branch and ramification, and resigned myself to the challenge of trying to create something from nothing with this piece.

Not, as some have alluded to, because I lack bonsai, I have many, many of which have been posted on this site and others. I have hundreds of pines and conifers in the ground that far outshine this stick, even years before they will be ready to lift. But because it offered a challenge, because it was a gift, but mainly because of the comments this tree has received from non-bonsaists and the idea it gave me for an article.

Where is that line where wonder becomes cynicism, where awe is replaced by technicalities, where the art becomes so weighted by expectations that only the artist can see it?

How much of what we like is colored by bias, how much of what don't like?

But this is for the article, for now, back to this tree.....so with an elongated branch, some ramification, it was time to play with branch position and direction of growth....

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
OK Will...Out with it! I know you have already done something with it ;).....Show me...:D
Irene

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Forgot to post the tree with not reduced needles..:D

I like the opposite of old/new, straggely/flourishing, ugly/beautiful, male/female

-dorothy

Attachments

• juniper+bNUT+4.jpg
    juniper+bNUT+4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 51
  • juniper+bNUT+5.jpg
    juniper+bNUT+5.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 50

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Here's a 1 branch bonsai thats been in the making for 25 plus years. Started out as 5 gallon nursery stock.

Mike

Attachments

• hollywoodcarvedresize.jpg
    hollywoodcarvedresize.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 74

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I like the opposite of old/new, straggely/flourishing, ugly/beautiful, male/female

-dorothy

Very nice virts! I think this is very do-able with the material.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
for what it's worth--this tree is part of a larger planting. It would look very nice and more congruous in a forest. It's merely a curiosity as a stand alone and mostly unremarkable as these turn up in almost every bonsaiists' collection in the beginning. I've had my share of tree that waste away to nothing...Not so much a design triumph as a happenstance--"it just kinda worked out that way..."

This is a "context" tree for a forest --that is, it would lend alot more "oomph" visually to a larger mass of trees--at the peripheral of the group...like the slave whispering into Ceasar's ear "thou art mortal."

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Too bad I won't be around to see it finished...............;)

keep it green,
Harry

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

-dorothy

Love those virts, Dorothy.
My 50 yrs old satsuki is really gealous of that fabulous nebari (that's because a juniper with an ink-blotch nebari is quite a rare sight - come to think of it, I have yet to see one). But I am am sure it's easily doable..at least according to some of our more experienced members ;)

P.S.: On to another topic.... I cross my fingers that you don't get sued for false advertising.:D :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, just waiting for you to chime in...I have to hand it to you though, you took longer than I thought you would.

And yes, the subject here may or may not be fodder for an article.

Will

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this was all a setup to get fodder for an article?

Yes, Will is probably devoting a whole chapter in his new book to this tree.

Yikes....I just gave myself goose flesh....

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
No, just waiting for you to chime in...I have to hand it to you though, you took longer than I thought you would.

And yes, the subject here may or may not be fodder for an article.

Will

A waste of time indeed. :mad:

Oh, and Chris, congrats on being removed from the ignore list. :D

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
A waste of time indeed. :mad:

Oh, and Chris, congrats on being removed from the ignore list. :D

It's only a waste of time if you have something better to do and that's the decision you made, to read it. I don't know of anyone that has a gun held to their head to be here.

keep it green,
Harry

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
It's only a waste of time if you have something better to do and that's the decision you made, to read it.

keep it green,
Harry

Fair enough, Harry. I appear to have been fooled again.

Top Bottom