Leftover Chinese banyan

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree was a leftover from a workshop at the Hawaii Bonsai Convention. I got it cheap, so its good practice material.
fignov42.jpg

fignov44.jpg

I've read about this, but never actually tried it....now I have:)
ttd2.jpg

And now it fits into a shallow pot.
ttd45.jpg

I will shorten all the branches as soon as the tree pushes new leaves. I may lose a couple branches due to the chop.

I have no idea what this is? My g/f brought it home about a year & a half ago & has been asking me to do something with it (the darn thing wouldn't die) I will call it the kiss-butt tree. I figured i'd try to soften the blow when she sees the jbp I brought home.
This thing wanted to be a cascade.
ttd40.jpg

BUT, I wanted to impress her (like i said, to soften the blow) so I stood the tree up & even wired a couple branches. Heck, I dont even know if it'll survive (i chopped the hell out of its roots) I just needed it to stay alive until she got home.....it worked!....I think?
ttd42.jpg

Ok, you all can stop laughing now:)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think...

I will enjoy seeing both of these trees in about a year. The ficus looks a lot like one of mine. It is surprising how quickly the tree will develop once you remove the bottom roots, cut back the long branches and start developing ramification. Only thing you have to worry about is die-back, but I agree that you are doing the right thing until you see new growth.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Greg, the kiss-butt tree i'm stuck with, the ficus might go to our club sale, all depends how the tree progresses. I probably don't have as many trees as most folks on here have, but i'm definitely falling behind on keeping up with what I have.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The great thing about ficus is their willingness to throw out surface roots. I hack my ficus just like you did - I use a saw and cut the bottom 3/4 off - then spread the roots and let it grow. It doesn't even take a season to see dramatic root thickening and nebari flare. In one year you go in and clear out the bad air roots and clean up the branches and in two years people will be excited about buying it :)

Wm Tom Davis

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aloha Duane,

With that chop, I'm seeing a big broad Banyan, like the ones at Iolani Palace or Ala Moana Beach park, with those nice aerial roots.
That's got some good potential in it. No give'm away just yet.

djlen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure from the picture but isn't that 'kiss butt tree' and azalea?

Top Bottom