Lighting for an Indoor Bonsai

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lots of links to very over-priced trees here! Yikes.

I can recommend Meehans, I bought a few things from them a couple of years ago and felt the prices were very fair for the type of material, which was relatively untrained stock. I haven't really looked at the prices for their more developed stuff. Nice people to deal with as well, very helpful on the phone.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yankee4321

NONE of the trees you linked is near a nice bonsai. I personally won't call them bonsai (yet) actually.

You got lots of good advise already but it is your money so you can spend it any way you want. Just know what you are getting into. Dreaming of flowers when you do not even know if you can keep a plant alive indoors may turn into a nightmare. Based on your questions and responses...I predict your first tree will die shorty (I hope I am mistaken). Sorry.

The light you posted is not nearly strong enough...maybe if you cluster several it will work. Stick with the "easy" tree for now...indoor growing is a big challenge on its own, you do not want to complicate it more now...not at your stage.

Good luck!

yankee4321

Seedling
Reaction score
yankee4321

NONE of the trees you linked is near a nice bonsai. I personally won't call them bonsai (yet) actually.

You got lots of good advise already but it is your money so you can spend it any way you want. Just know what you are getting into. Dreaming of flowers when you do not even know if you can keep a plant alive indoors may turn into a nightmare. Based on your questions and responses...I predict your first tree will die shorty (I hope I am mistaken). Sorry.

The light you posted is not nearly strong enough...maybe if you cluster several it will work. Stick with the "easy" tree for now...indoor growing is a big challenge on its own, you do not want to complicate it more now...not at your stage.

Good luck!

Alright. I've done some reasearch-I think! :)

I found a cfl growlight on Amazon. Maybe it will do the trick? http://www.amazon.com/Hydroponic-Full-Spectrum-Light-5500K/dp/B005P29K1S

I guess now I am looking for a low light bonsai tree now... I originally said I wanted a flowering bonsai, but now it doesn't really matter.

If you read one of my last posts, I said I didn't need a flowering bonsai...

yankee4321

Seedling
Reaction score
I just need a bonsai that can live indoors all year round... There has to be some.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Willow leaf ficus is good for indoors, I've had more success with it than with other ficus varieties. There are some on ebay right now, though this isn't the best time of year to be shipping tropicals if you are in a northern location.

Perhaps the best bet would be to call Meehans and tell them what you're looking for, they might be able to send some photos.

Oh, and the juniper issue...despite what people say, you can grow a procumbens indoors under light, though you might need more than 60 watts and it might take a while to get the watering and culture perfected. Google "Jack Wikle" if you want more information.

Edit to add - if you have to have something now and don't mind buying from bonsai boy (I have no experience with them), this might be a better deal than the one you posted:

http://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product140.html

Not very exciting as a bonsai, but more reasonably priced for what you get, and something you could learn on. Biggest problem initially will be getting the conditions right (light, water, etc), and there's a good chance the first tree won't survive, so don't spend too much.

One other thing to keep in mind...the taller the tree you get, the harder it will be to keep it healthy indoors with limited lighting. Light intensity decreases rapidly from the source, so if you have only one weakish fixture (and 60 W is weakish) over an 18" tall tree, the bottom will not get nearly enough light...and those branches will weaken and eventually die. So you'd either need a stronger light, more fixtures, or (best option) go with a smaller plant.

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh, and the juniper issue...despite what people say, you can grow a procumbens indoors under light, though you might need more than 60 watts and it might take a while to get the watering and culture perfected. Google "Jack Wikle" if you want more information.

This may be true, but I wasn't about to tell a beginner growing a tree in an office he could grow it successfully

Stiple

Sapling
Reaction score
My fukien tea is under 400 watts of led lighting. They take quiet a bit of light

Rick

I have two which grew under about 68W/200W equiv. cfl's. Used a custom made light hood that cost me about $10. Grew alright.

I added another light, and it went nuts growing, had it for about 2 years now.

Top Bottom