Lime Sulpher and dead wood

pmlongfellow

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, I did my first "jin" today, and I recall reading about lime sulphur.

Is the application of lime sulphur purely asthetic or does it have preservative qualities? I.e. if asthetics aren't a current priority should I still get this stuff asap?

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lime sulfur helps in preserving deadwood. It slows down the decay process but I don't think it completely halts it. I usually apply minwax on any deadwood that is vital to the design of the tree. This does a much better job of preventing further decay imo.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has preservative qualities. Exposed dead wood rots over time if exposed to moisture so if the Jin is dry wood, the sooner the better depending on your climate.

pmlongfellow

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And when you say "minwax" do you mean polyurethane?

Wouldn't that make it kind of glossy to some degree?

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you apply too much it will have a glossy look to it but it will dull after some time. This juniper had serious decay especially down low at soil level but after removing the really soft wood, treating with lime sulfur then later applying minwax, that soft decaying wood is now hard as rock. Lime sulfur alone would not protect the wood as well from decaying. Hope this helps.
IMG_0390.jpg

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to find this thread. I've been doing some jins too - San Jose juniper and Japanese black pines. I love the look after the color tones down a bit.

How soon after the lime sulfur is applied should the wood hardener be added?

Should they both be re-applied annually?

Mark59 - nice juni. Tell us more about it.

Last edited:

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks bonsaTOM for the kind words. That tree came from Michael Levin from Bonsai West in Littleton, Mass. It's an old Umenori Hatanaka prostrate juniper. I applied lime sulfur and then waited probably if memory serves several months before applying minwax. The reason being when you apply lime sulfur, the deadwood has a yellowish look until it fades into that silvery look that we're after. Depending on your climate, I have alot of humidity here, this can take some time. Once you apply minwax, it basically locks in the color of the deadwood and prevents lime sulfur from soaking into the deadwood thereafter. Some add a little bit of black India ink to the lime sulfur to try to get that perfect shade of deadwood. I apply minwax every other year especially with the deadwood close to soil level.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very Helpful. Appreciate it.
Another question. If, by waiting before applying the (Minwax) wood hardener, can the newly applied lime sulfur, not sealed in any way, leech into the soil during watering or the heavy rains (of a hurricane)? Leeching down into the soil could be harmful to the roots, right?
Mark, you'd better batten down the hatches! Here comes Irene. :eek:

Last edited:

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always apply when the weather will be warm and dry for several days. But once applied it soaks into wood and dries rather quickly. I always mist the deadwood area I'm treating as this seems to make it go on easier. It just stays yellowish in color for a day or two. But to answer your question about leaching into the soil and causing damage because of rain, nah i don't see that happening.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Lime sulfur is a fungicide/pesticide. Unless you dump a whole lot of it onto your soil while applying it, it won't do any damage.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you guys. I won't worry. At least not about the lime sulfur leeching. Winds from Irene - maybe.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great thread! Funny, you when think that you are the only person who is wondering about something, someone seems to post the question. This place is a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck with Irene, almost noon in Boston, and so far, just like any other rain storm.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Joe - Good to hear all's OK out there. Been a bit worried about all our friends at Bonsai West, New England Bonsai &, of course Suthin at Royal Bonsai Gardens! :cool:

Top Bottom