Limp Dark New Trident Leaves

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have 3 young tridents. 2 have been going gangbusters so far this spring, the 3rd is slowly recovering from a separate issue (root rot).

I just noticed, while they still look largely healthy and most new leaves look good, a few leaves just unfolding are a darkish purple and very limp. No idea what this is or how to address it. Might be worth noting that we just had about a solid week straight of rain and only just had our first sun the last 2 days. Back to grey and raining again today. I have a couple of pictures for reference:
IMG_20180522_104703915.jpg

IMG_20180522_105603497.jpg

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aphids? Lift the leaves and look underneath. Could be a number of things, but I think I see something on the curved stem of the tip.
Is this the one recovering from root problem? What is your soil mix?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Definitely check for ahpids.
I've had 2 waves of them already...

Also, as you know, we got killed with like 10 days of rain and no sun, until a couple days ago....

Could be just too wet.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
just noticed, while they still look largely healthy and most new leaves look good, a few leaves just unfolding are a darkish purple and very limp. No idea what this is or how to address it. Might be worth noting that we just had about a solid week straight of rain and only just had our first sun the last 2 days. Back to grey and raining again today. I have a couple of pictures for reference:

Prune those leaves and branch/branchlet where the branch looks normal, not limp. Spray the cuts with vinegar, clean tools with bleach. Looks to be bacterial, having problems here with Fire Blight due to the odd Winter and Spring conditions.

Do it ASAP, and read up on Fire Blight.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doubt very much that is aphids. With the torrential rain we've had for the last week, it's more likely fungal or root rot. You don't show the soil these are in. That can make a huge difference in how bonsai react to extremely soggy conditions. If the soil is too dense and stays wet, these past 10 days of constant rain and torrential downpours has probably kept them underwater...

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Prune those leaves and branch/branchlet where the branch looks normal, not limp. Spray the cuts with vinegar, clean tools with bleach. Looks to be bacterial, having problems here with Fire Blight due to the odd Winter and Spring conditions.

Do it ASAP, and read up on Fire Blight.

Grimmy
Well damn. Thanks for the feedback Grimmy. My initial gut reaction was to cut them off, but I wanted to see how it developed and played out. Unfortunately I won't be able to cut them off and treat them until tomorrow morning now. I started reading - I have a large old crab apple tree in my yard, it's never had anything before that looks like Fire Blight and looks about the same as ever.

And the extended/prolonged periods of rain and wet were my main concern.

@RKatzin & @just.wing.it - This is particular issue is not aphids. I've had to fight off aphids a couple of times this spring already - on my first year crab apple sapling and collected hornbeam. I've seen where their draining the sap will cause a leaf to wilt, so that condition is similar, but they are not present.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And the extended/prolonged periods of rain and wet were my main concern.

We have had some serious problems a few years ago because of improper landscape and Spring weather condition also Bacterial but far worse. I had been treating all fruits trees earlier on for Southwestern Disease but this past weak I am positive it is Fire Blight. Funny you mentioned it but out of several Fruit trees one crabapple looks to be fine, all the others dead for certain. Lost all Quince Cotoneaster, Azalea, all Elms but one, and a list that is daunting. So far all lost are potted, landscape look fine, actually better this year... WTF?

On a side note - It is possible for Bacterial to spread miles as it is invisible and not necessarily a condition of the property.

Grimmy

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a root problem it looks to me. Something is dry inside the root ball.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This happens to my tridents and palmatums, in pots and in the ground, when the weather gets hot and humid. I've always suspected fungus but usually don't treat, and the trees usually continue on without issue. We're in the midst of a week long plume of tropical moisture coming out of the gulf, and I'm wanting to spray with daconil, but there isn't a day in the next week that doesn't have rain in the forecast. Gonna try to spray potted maples in between showers today, I think. Mind you, only the first image is from a potted tree and that one is in Clay King in a wooden grow box. The rest are planted next to my neck in beautiful GA red clay and love it! You can see in all instances that the tree buds back and continues to grow. IMG_0916.jpgIMG_0917.jpgIMG_0918.jpgIMG_0919.jpg

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I thought fire blight only affected memebers of the rosaceae family and that maples got a different blight?

I used the term loosely - it is bacterial and infects the newer fresher growth though unlike worse bacterial dilemma - if it is allowed to reach the trunk of the tree as in fire blight it will kill the tree.

This is a root problem it looks to me. Something is dry inside the root ball.

It is bacterial and caused by weather conditions, rain, humidity, cool periods followed by extended warmth.

I've always suspected fungus but usually don't treat, and the trees usually continue on without issue.

It is best to cut off down to the unaffected part of the stem or branch and destroy the infected portion. Not a lot more needs done except cleaning tools between cuts as a precautionary and a light vinegar mist on the cuts.

Grimmy

Earthone79

Seed
Reaction score
Do you have a photo of the soil and root area?

Top Bottom